rough idle and sometimes hard to start

jlewis
5

Asked by jlewis Apr 24, 2011 at 01:02 PM about the 2006 Ford Escape XLT

my 2006 escape xlt with 3.0 runs smooth but idles rough and sometimes hard to start, other times fires right up.engine light is on and temp. guage goes up to normal operating temp. rather quick but doesn't overheat.seems to be harder on fuel than normal....

papa

clean the IAC (Idle Air Control ) is on throttle body,with carb cleaner,dont push in prindle sticking out of it.,as for the fast warm up replace thermostat.

Jon Romero
1,805

Personally id be more suspicious of the EGR valve than he IAC valve. Realistically you should find out what codes are causing you check engine light to illuminate. Go to your local parts house and they will most likely check your codes for free. These are way better indicators than the guesstimation we can give you without diagnosing the vehicle. Sight unseen, if you can get it to start then lightly tap on the throttle body and see if the idle has a any change in RPM. If it does than i would suspect the IAC valve. If not then the EGR would be your next best culprit.

txbasshound
110

Just checked around on 2001 Escape and found a vacuum line off. Plugged it back on fitting and now it idles perfect. Right in front of the EGR valve, there is a metal tube. Follow it back behind the motor and at the bottom of it there is a rubber hose about 2 inches long that had come off the fitting. The fitting (as you're looking at the motor from the front) is just to the left of the EGR valve.

grubbab
40

When a Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape idles rough or stalls, especially when hot, this is a sign the fuel pump is failing. The check engine light will not come on. There will be no trouble codes. The problem will often occur after driving, then stopping foe a few minutes, after which it will either not start, or run very rough. This will continue for several months before the fuel pump finally fails. It is easy to change, there is an access plate under the rear seat, drivers side.

Riptide21
10

I just went through the same problem, replaced the egr valve and egr solenoid, runs like new again

Gary Light
10

My daughter's 2004 Ford Escape V6 appears to be the AIC valve. Removed it and soaked it 3 times with throttle body cleaner. Then rinsed with high pressure spray from the can. Put it back on and it started and idled without even touching the gas pedal. I reached in through the window to turn the key and it fired right up.

txbasshound
110

While taking the IAC and the EGR off to clean, wouldn.t you know...found a small vacuum line dried out and leaking. Replaced it, cleaned the 2 valves and it runs fine now. Appreciate y'alls help and suggestions.