front wheels locked up on daughters 2000 4x4 tracker

mason1966
0

Asked by mason1966 Jul 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Tracker Base 4WD Convertible

she herd a pop noise and front wheels locked up. she didnot have it in 4 wheel drive just driving around
town going to work any idas?

dynasg2009
865

What you could try is to unbolt the front drive shaft with the front raised and on jack stands and e-brake on and after removing the front drive shaft at the differential and see if the front wheels turn. If they do then the transfer case has issues, if not then the front differential has issues. Either way you will know exactly what the problem is. If you can't afford to repair it if the transfer case is bad you might be able to remove the front drive shaft and still drive it until you can fix it properly.