2002 chevy 2500hd 6.0 gas, hard starting wether its dead cold or cooled off alittle bit

ducote1
0

Asked by ducote1 Jan 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4 Dr LT Crew Cab SB HD

2000 chevy 2500hd 6.0 gas, when trying to start up I have to turn the key on without cranking 1st then turn it off, then turn it on and crank this time and my truck will start up. Fuel pump is running 2 sec. each time key is on, fuel rail has gas, ran 2 tanks high test with cleaner,changed fuel filter, needed it anyway, also new plugs, cleaned I.A.C. , throttle body, mass air, and air filter. Same problem persists. When it is running its smooth with no concerns, just starting is a problem. Any additional ideas out there would be great. Thanks

GeraldT
35

have you had a diagnostics test run on the truck's computer?

perkinsauto67
85

Diagnostic test and check fuel pressure.

ducote1
0

0 codes on the code reader, have not checked fuel pressure at fitting.

12,815

Won't be a pressure issue. There is a one way check ball in your fuel pump that should keep pressure on the line and the fuel pressure regulator should be closed when the engine is off keeping pressure on the fuel rail also. The two parts when working properly should hold pressure in the fuel rail for weeks, and in perfect condition will hold for years. When one of the two go bad the system will have to be primed by doing exactly what you are doing. Either replace the parts or get used to priming the system, if I was in your situation I wouldn't worry much about it.

You think this is helpful.
ducote1
0

Thanks, thats an area I can look into.

perkinsauto67
85

Yes. Connect fuel pressure gauge turn the key on or run engine shut it off and wait to see if the pressure falls off. If so replace fuel pump module (assembly)

ducote1
0

fuel pump check valve (ball) bad. Fuel pressure guage 58 with key on and then it drops like a rock. click key again it rises and then drops. Thanks for the help. For now I'll take the advice of priming, will change out pump alittle later though.

Idahojay
0

Check your battery. I had this exact problem on my 2002 and it was the battery. Mine was putting out only 10 volts so even though the pump was running the pressure was not good enough to start the engine. I had to do exactly what you described and it would start every time. Pull the battery cables off and check for 12 volts.

12,815

Potatoejay the battery wouldn't cause the fuel pressure to drop.

Idahojay
0

I know it doesn't seem right, but think of it this way. Dead battery, no pressure. It's physics really...less power to the pump = less pressure in the rails ( or delayed full pressure ). Just trying to help. This was the problem with my truck and I never would have looked at the battery.

12,815

And that would be an awesome answer and I would agree with it, IF he wasn't getting an initial Max pressure. The fact that he is getting full pressure and its dropping off means the pump is getting full power and creating full pressure but its not holding over night.

Idahojay
0

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I didn't see that he had max pressure initially and then it dropped. I'll bet you're right and he needs a fuel pump. It wouldn't be surprising in that vintage of truck. I replaced mine around 120K.

12,815

Fuel pressure regulator is also a possibility in these cases, the regulator is supposed to close when vacuum is removed. If the regulator sticks open it will bleed the pressure off also. Easiest way to check is to pull the fuel return line from the rail (as long as the connection is after the reg) get something to catch the fuel, and prime the system.

brucej455
155

By following Mark helpful you will then also have to replace ign switch as it isn't designed to be operated in this manor. I'm afraid you will have to bite the bullet and replace the fuel pump as they don't have a fix for a bad ck valve.

12,815

It's been over a year and the ignition switch IS designed to turn.