My Chevy Silverado won't go over 25 miles an hour

Rbaum
0

Asked by Rbaum Sep 19, 2012 at 08:58 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD

68,435

It might be a clogged Catalytic converter. Have a muffler shop diagnose it for you. Has your truck been hesitating and misfiring lately?

12,895

And pushing on the gas harder only makes it worse? Do you know how to remove oxygen sensors? If so then remove the 2 closest to the engine, they are almost touching the manifold. If that helps then there is a blockage in the exhaust. Most likely a bad catalytic converter or a bent pipe. If the converter is bad make sure its replaced with a proper OBD 2 cat, otherwise you will be going through this in 6-18 months from now.

12,895

I'm not trying to repeat what Tom said. His response wasn't even there until the page refreshed when I hit post. lol

Rbaum
0

I just had the catalytic converter replaced. I will take it back in. Thanks

Rbaum
0

Thanks a million for your feedback fellas have a great day just got the muffler worked on something, defenatly could be a area to look

12,895

I'll bet a generic cat got put on the vehicle. I have seen it many many times where people take a car to a discount muffler shop and the reason for the discount is cheap incorrect parts. I'm certain Tom is no stranger to seeing that happen either. The correct cat for that vehicle will probably run anywhere from $120-$160 maybe more. That's the shops cost so you can expect them to raise that price just to make some cash too.

4,795

Is the truck just bogging down? or not shifting? Misfireing?

You think this is helpful.
Rucko
2,275

try changing the fuel filter.

Rbaum
0

I bought the CAT conv myself at the auto parts store and I gave it to them to install. The truck didn't elcelerate over 25 miles an hour when I pushed the pedal down. I just had the oil changed but I can look at the fuel filter to make sure it was actually changed and was a good filter. Today I didn't have any problems with it. It comes and goes. I did have a day where it didn't shift right away, it hesitated and wouldn't excelerate over 25 miles and hour. I shut off the vehicle sat and waited a while and then when I restarted it then it worked again. Thanks so much for your information!

12,895

The engine would shut off due to a clogged fuel filter not hit 25 MPH and just stop accelerating. With the info you have given I'm still leaning 100% towards what tom and I said. Unscrew the H20 sensors next time it does it.

Rbaum
0

Ok great! Thanks fellas. I appreciate your time.

trip65

john i've already had this problem before drove for over 5 miles at 30 mph. and thats all it would go, changed the filter and it ran great .

12,895

So your saying that your car was running great one day and over night the fuel filter on a fuel injected car got clogged to where the engine would stay running even when the gas pedal was to the floor but it wouldn't go over 30 MPH?

trip65

no it wasnt my car it was a rental.. we used to pick up trucks and small vans for service . this one van would go more than 25 -30 tops. after changing the filter it ran fine .

12,895

It doesn't do that over the coarse of 24hrs the cat however gets a little too hot and can almost instantly melt blocking all the little honey combs preventing the truck from exhaling. That can happen between stop lights.

Maleik
0

my volvo s70 it have bad haed gazkit after changed to new one the car run smouth in idle but wont go more 25 mi in hour

Joshua Stone
60

I have a chevy 1500 truck it goes into drive and over drive but when going down the road it only goes up to thirty then truck wont go after that until you come to a stop then take of againe it wont go over thirty what could couse that

12,895

Maleik did you ever get that Volvo running? Could be your rockers weren't adjusted properly... Josh does the truck act like it's in neutral or does the engine rpm not climb anymore? Could be a transmission issue or could be a clogged cat. more info

jonrod
0

Mine does the same thing and it takes a while for the gears to change after I shifted. I was going up a hill and tried to give it gas but it stayed on 25. My cab was empty. Was not carrying anything.