My Chevy Silverado won't go over 25 miles an hour

Rbaum
30

Asked by Rbaum Sep 19, 2012 at 08:58 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD

136,745

It might be a clogged Catalytic converter. Have a muffler shop diagnose it for you. Has your truck been hesitating and misfiring lately?

22,095

And pushing on the gas harder only makes it worse? Do you know how to remove oxygen sensors? If so then remove the 2 closest to the engine, they are almost touching the manifold. If that helps then there is a blockage in the exhaust. Most likely a bad catalytic converter or a bent pipe. If the converter is bad make sure its replaced with a proper OBD 2 cat, otherwise you will be going through this in 6-18 months from now.

22,095

I'm not trying to repeat what Tom said. His response wasn't even there until the page refreshed when I hit post. lol

Rbaum
30

I just had the catalytic converter replaced. I will take it back in. Thanks

Rbaum
30

Thanks a million for your feedback fellas have a great day just got the muffler worked on something, defenatly could be a area to look

22,095

I'll bet a generic cat got put on the vehicle. I have seen it many many times where people take a car to a discount muffler shop and the reason for the discount is cheap incorrect parts. I'm certain Tom is no stranger to seeing that happen either. The correct cat for that vehicle will probably run anywhere from $120-$160 maybe more. That's the shops cost so you can expect them to raise that price just to make some cash too.

9,575

Is the truck just bogging down? or not shifting? Misfireing?

You think this is helpful.
Rucko
2,745

try changing the fuel filter.

Rbaum
30

I bought the CAT conv myself at the auto parts store and I gave it to them to install. The truck didn't elcelerate over 25 miles an hour when I pushed the pedal down. I just had the oil changed but I can look at the fuel filter to make sure it was actually changed and was a good filter. Today I didn't have any problems with it. It comes and goes. I did have a day where it didn't shift right away, it hesitated and wouldn't excelerate over 25 miles and hour. I shut off the vehicle sat and waited a while and then when I restarted it then it worked again. Thanks so much for your information!

22,095

The engine would shut off due to a clogged fuel filter not hit 25 MPH and just stop accelerating. With the info you have given I'm still leaning 100% towards what tom and I said. Unscrew the H20 sensors next time it does it.

Rbaum
30

Ok great! Thanks fellas. I appreciate your time.

trip65

john i've already had this problem before drove for over 5 miles at 30 mph. and thats all it would go, changed the filter and it ran great .

22,095

So your saying that your car was running great one day and over night the fuel filter on a fuel injected car got clogged to where the engine would stay running even when the gas pedal was to the floor but it wouldn't go over 30 MPH?

trip65

no it wasnt my car it was a rental.. we used to pick up trucks and small vans for service . this one van would go more than 25 -30 tops. after changing the filter it ran fine .

22,095

It doesn't do that over the coarse of 24hrs the cat however gets a little too hot and can almost instantly melt blocking all the little honey combs preventing the truck from exhaling. That can happen between stop lights.

Maleik
0

my volvo s70 it have bad haed gazkit after changed to new one the car run smouth in idle but wont go more 25 mi in hour

Joshua Stone
210

I have a chevy 1500 truck it goes into drive and over drive but when going down the road it only goes up to thirty then truck wont go after that until you come to a stop then take of againe it wont go over thirty what could couse that

22,095

Maleik did you ever get that Volvo running? Could be your rockers weren't adjusted properly... Josh does the truck act like it's in neutral or does the engine rpm not climb anymore? Could be a transmission issue or could be a clogged cat. more info

jonrod
0

Mine does the same thing and it takes a while for the gears to change after I shifted. I was going up a hill and tried to give it gas but it stayed on 25. My cab was empty. Was not carrying anything.

JohnRC
0

Would the same situation apply with a 6.6 Duramax diesel??

mspretti3
0

My 1997 Buick Lesabre reaches 25 mph then looses pressure. It won't go into reverse. Any suggestions?

Matt Young
0

applying to the truck not going over 25, yes the fuel filter will do that such a thing John. It did it to my truck, i replaced it and it ran great after! Not saying it couldnt be a CAT, but if you dont know, dont say it cant be true.

Saturn01
0

mpretti3, we are having the same problem with our Saturn. Any luck with a solution?

Eagle186
30

My 2500 won't go over 30 and is slipping like it's in neutral happend not to long after i put in four wheel and having a hard time coming out of four wheel what could this be thanks

420mechanic
20

Having same problem truck hesitates worst when gad applied I changed wires plugs fuel filter air filter and couple coils think I will pull on sensors see if it's exhaust any ideas won't go over 30mph

Eagle186
30

Mine was the the transmission working good now

lounsbury
0

420 mechanic sounds like my probablem did you fix yours?

JohnRC
0

No, it's still doing the same thing. When I punch it at 110 or above, it will cut out and drop to 103kph, and will not go any faster then that until I stop, and shut it off for a minute, and then it will resume it's normal expected job, unless I punch it again, and then it reoccurs. If I punch it on the way up, it will not go more then the 103. I'm still baffled and so are my mechanics!! Very annoying and dangerous if you want to pass another vehicle.

Kelsneedhelp25
10

Car was driving just fine then got to a stop light and it would accelerate finally started to accelerate and keep stalling all the way home I thought it was the maf or throttle so cleaned it changed the spark plugs but no fuel filter and check engine soon light came on

Doter
20

My 02 z71, is doing the same thing. Changed the oil added Lucas oil during the change. Changed air filter and the fuel filter. Drives fine after the initial lag for a mile or so at 35 mph. Any ideas where to go from there?

Ronvh
0

Eagle186 our Sierra 1500 is doing the same thing. What was wrong with your transmission? How did you get it fixed?

David Day
0

My 03 tahoe will get to 30mph and just slip or shift to neutral and will Rev out but if I punch it, it will go through all the gears but soon as you lift of, same thing happens. There are no codes and no enginelight or message display

Hicks31
0

David did you ever figure your problem out my 01 sierra is doing the same thing