My truck seems to be stuck in four wheel drive even though my switch is in 2 wheel drive. When driving it sounds like it is stuck in. I have tried to stop and switch between all ranges in nuetral mand it does not work. Can someone help me out on where to start looking?

dochanson66
10

Asked by dochanson66 Mar 14, 2013 at 09:21 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Short Bed 4WD

DavidH25

check the fuse. There are three main things that will blow the fuse; the front axle actuator, the encoder motor on the transfer case or a mechanical problem in the transfer case. First unplug the actuator and see if the fuse blows. If not the actuator is bad, If the fuse blows, unplug the motor on the transfer case. If the fuse does not blow with the motor unplugged, but does with it connected, remove the motor from the case and try again. If it still blows the fuse, the motor is likely bad. If the fuse does not blow with the motor out of the transfer case, the problem is more likely internal to the case. If it binds internally, the motor will pull too many amps and blow the fuse.

DavidH25

click images to enlarge

14,135

turn the vehicle on and have 2wd selected and get under the truck and tap on the shift motor on the transfer case with a small hammer or something see if it will pop out. ive seen alot of motors go bad and if you hit them they will go to working again, for a little while anyways. it could be a control issue or internal transfer case issue. but hitting the motor is best thing to start with.

DavidH25

legend

DavidH25

And ditto on kbro's post. Makes sense to me