Temp gauge runs all the way to the right, high coolant temp warning light comes on...why?

fiddyclank
5

Asked by fiddyclank Feb 05, 2013 at 07:43 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

After a short time driving, the temp gauge runs high (up to 200 in less than 10 min).  Eventually it redlined at 260, high coolant temp warning light came on, I pulled over a few times to let the temp drop.  Little to no interior heat.  My coolant level is good, no leakage, what could the problem be?

DavidH25

Thermostat stuck, water pump impellers, they may be plastic, don't know if your car has plastic impellers but they wear and can break, and will not leak... and no heat in the cabin indicates the coolant is not circulating. Either will cause that. Start with thermostat, that is the least expensive fix if that is what it is

fiddyclank
5

Thanks a lot, David...not a car guru myself, but my first thought was the thermostat...will get it checked

DavidH25

There is an old sort of trick that you can put the thermostat in a pan of water on the stove, boil it and see if it opens, if you are really really on a tight budget, but they are not expensive, replace it regardless. If you have never done a thermostat be very careful, if it is not seated the housing will break. Spring side down in block. Don't over torque bolts. I am not dumbing it down for you, no offense intended. I don't know if you ever have. If that does not fix it, water pump is next like I said. And your'e welcome

55,085

GM V6 with cooling problems - bleed the air out of the cooling system. Check the third item on this page --- http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/faq.php? faq=maint_repair

You think this is helpful.
Ilregal

Man alive, it could be a thermostat, but you need to completely flush the coolant and I'm not talking about just training it out, complete flush and clean, inspect all the hoses for spongy feeling hoses and the block and all the rest of the coolant system completely cleaned as it gets this gunk build up after a while and plugs up all the passages, then new Dexcool 50 50 ONLY as this is a GM and it's good stuff, and that GAowner club is driving me crazy, this is an Impala, lower the temperature of thermostat so it pops off sooner and check all the fins in your radiator for damage and if you see a bunch smashed in or bent up, there's a cheap little tool at Harbor Freight that you can buy and you run it through the damaged fins in the radiator allowing more air flow. Go from 180 degrees to 160 degree after the fact if your still having a problem which I doubt if you have a pro clean the coolant system professionally as they have a machine that force the coolant through all the ports and cleans all the gunk out. And if you need more detail let me know. I feel the 2004 and even still to today had a radiator that was to small. About a month ago I put a Whipple supercharger on a SS and we had over heating problems, changed to a larger radiator and a 160 degree thermostat drilled and it was perfect. That GAowner stuff is junk, this is W body car and a SS a that with a L67 the best engine ever made, why do you want to send if to some stupid Grand Am crap when he could go to RegalGS..org or more any forum for the SS period, do you get paid by the referral, I see it on every other post you make. Go to W body.com or 3800.com, you have a real car and I'm telling you this is common, Platform GM W platform Engine 3.4 L LA1 V6 3.8 L L36 V6 3.8 L L67 SC V6 Transmission 4-speed 4T65-E automatic 4-speed 4T65E-HD automatic, the wide bodies are all the same platform, just go to Wiki and search GM Wide body. But after you clean out your coolant., this is a bad A@#s car, love it, In 2004 the Dale Jr. Edition came out, it was red in color and sported a black high sport kit. The number 8, with an “E” stripe design carried from the doors to the rear bumper. The 5 spoke diamond cut wheels featured a black stripe through each spoke and Dale Jr.’s signature appeared on the right side of the trunk lid. On the sides, the vehicle received Monte Carlo SS badges. Inside on the dash a #8 badge appeared and Dale Jr.’s signature on the cluster. This edition also got #8 floor mats and headrests. This was also the first nameplate car to receive GMs L67 Supercharged 3800 V6 engine. To compete, the Intimidator Edition was re-released in 2004, this time, however the vehicle featured “Intimidator” badges on the trunk lid and both side panels of the vehicle. The car was all black in color, received the 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and this time received GMs L67 Supercharged 3800 V6 engine.

Herman Hagan Jr
20

Tenspeed has it right when air gets trapped in the water pump the impeller fins can no longer circulate the coolant. There is a bleeder screw by the water pump. Open it to let the air out of the system. Close it when coolant streams out of the bleeder screw. If that does not correct the problem you will need to flush your coolant system although that is rarely the problem.

You think this is helpful.
sugarita
10

What was the problem because i'm experiencing same problem with same car