how do you check/ trouble shoot an interemittent oil pressure gaige

CYBERDALE
15

Asked by CYBERDALE Aug 02, 2011 at 09:24 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

gage will go off scale zero while under normal driving conditions. it will re-set properly when turning ignition off and re-starting car. what should I trouble shoot first? is it the gauge or the oil pressure sending unit?

Tom Torres
1,525

easiest is the guage ground signal wire to block guage should move in one direction and un plug it should read other direction

papa

oil sending unit is bad,they get cloged with old dry oil,if you have not replaced it,is time to.

CYBERDALE
15

THANK YOU! This gauge is in an instement cluster. I am not sure where to find the wireing to check the ground. Thanks a gain for pointing me in the right direction.

CYBERDALE
15

I thought about that right away. but I was confused when the gauge aoperated nominally on restart. I will definately look into the pressure sending unit. Thank You!