1995 Chevy G30 Extended Van Engine Won't Turn Off and Key Won't Come Out of Ignition! Help!

ozsmiffy
0

Asked by ozsmiffy Oct 08, 2012 at 02:26 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G30 Cargo Van Extended

Hopefully someone can help me....

I have a 1995 Chevy G30 Extended SportVan 5.7L V8 converted to a Roadtrek 190 RV. Anyway, pulled up to a gas station, put it in park, turned off the engine - everything seemed OK. However, I went to start it back up again - less than 20-minutes later - nothing happened. The key wouldn't turn in the ignition and I couldn't move the gear lever - the steering wheel wasn't locked either and I had my foot on the brake pedal. Anyway, after some turning of the steering wheel and some slight rocking of the vehicle back and forwards - I got the engine to start and go into gear. Great I thought - all fixed - until I got to my destination, that is!

When I got to my destination, I stopped the vehicle, put it into park, and went to turn off the engine! It wouldn't turn off - I couldn't move the key in the ignition to the off position not matter what I tried and I couldn't remove the key! I disconnected the battery, it still wouldn't turn off. In the end I removed the ignition fuse and the engine died but I still can't remove the key!

Any idea what the problem could be and approximate cost to get it repaired? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

99,985

My thought is your ignition cylinder and or ignition swtich will need to be replaced. Sounds like it is worn, and the parts can be found at any local auto parts store.

nickajk
10

you need an actuator rod?or possibly an ignition rack kit while in there you should replace lock cylinder and ignition switch or look for a used or rebuilt column its cheaper