1994 ford probe 2.0 MT will turn over but will not start??

joebou50
20

Asked by joebou50 Jun 09, 2012 at 08:28 PM about the 1994 Ford Probe STD

Driving on interstate car just shuts down. Repaired timing belt, distibutor, head, reset timing, spark plugs, still
nothing. Tried a new computer. No Luck. Any suggestions

115,035

Did you replace the Ignition Control Module? It's the candy bar sized box on the side of the distributor. It's know to fail and a common symptom is your car shutting down while hot, but them once it cools down you can start it again.

joebou50
20

Yesthat has been changed also

Greg Wry
15

check to make sure that your getting fuel. Also theres an inertia switch in the trunk that cuts off the fuel supply once its tripped.

joebou50
20

Have fuel, fire , and conpression. That was the first thing i did

caphunter
10

Sorry not to have seen this one earlier. Sounds like my problem; changed/checked everything. Then after mechanic noted that pulling on the crank position sensor wire at the connector at the top right of the engine it started. Noted that the connector had play in it (bad seal?) and maybe corrosion. I shuffled the two halves back and forth to try to scrape through any corrosion, added di-electric grease, and chicken-banded the two halves of the connecter together tightly. Starts every time now.