very touchy gas pedal

captbud330
0

Asked by captbud330 Dec 30, 2010 at 07:02 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry CE

Problem, 2007 Camry 4cyl automatic. No matter how smooth you are on the gas pedal, the car starts to move but apply the slightest more pressure on the gas pedal and the car takes off like a rocket, there is no linear acceleration in relation to the gas pedal position. I contacted Toyota California and asked if there was a software update for the ECM but they weren't aware of any TSBs for that problem. Does anyone have any ideas or have others had this problem?

Jonathan Furse
2,155

Could be just something with the car, every car even in the same model and year develops its own "personality" over time.

rusty503
10

Check the motor mounts. I had this problem with another vehicle. What seems to be happening is that with the broken motor mount, as soon as you hit the gas, the engine starts to torque and is moving off the mount. As it moves it is pulling on the throttle cable. The more torque, the more the engine moves and the more it pulls on the throttle cable.

jmktok
0

I've got the same car.. my kids are learning to drive and they don't like it... just touch the gas and your neck snaps back... luckily I have other cars they can drive. I've gotten used to it ... to be honest... i'd sell the car just for that!

Jay Laflamme
215

id check the throttle valve on the motor first off. maybe its a broken return spring that "catches". if you could describe the symptoms more clearly, it would help. is it intermittent, like when you first start the vehicule, or at every stop and go, or when you shift into drive, reverse? it also could be a tps (throttle position sensor) fault. i looked around and ibelieve you have an electric throttle, but i could be corrected on that. if it is so, its no doubt some position sensor at fault