turn over but will not start.

rabbit48
0

Asked by rabbit48 Jul 19, 2011 at 09:41 AM about the 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX

Christina Kinley
45

Check fuel pump..turn ignition to on position..should hear a hum/bzz sound. Also, be careful tring to start it over and over...it could have broken a timing belt...

97TBirdOwner
45

Follow the posts / thread under the 1997 Thunderbird that would crank but not start while the radiator cooling fans were running. Read and study what people posted there. You are correct about hearing the fuel pump run for a second or so when you first turn the ignition key to the "run" position from the "off" position. The fuel pump will time out and shut off if the PCM does not sense that the engine is turning. This is a safety feature to shut off the fuel if you are involved in a crash and the inertia switch in the trunk is not tripped. Keeps you from having fuel pumped onto the engine in the event of a broken fuel line from a crash. The 4.6 liter V8 engines in the Thunderbirds do not have timing belts - they have two timing chains - one for each camshaft. Remember that an engine should start and run with the following: fuel, air, compression, and spark. These all have to be within reason to get the engine to start and run. So, if you have fuel rail pressure, if the injectors are being pulsed by the PCM you should be getting fuel delivery. If the PCM is able to read the crankshaft position correctly, it should be able to communicate to the ignition module (a bit fuzzy on the exact way Ford does this, as mine have just worked) to provide spark at the correct time. There should be air drawn in through the throttle plate and the IAC (idle air control) to mix with the fuel to burn. Just keep everything in perspective, and remember what it takes for an engine to start and run, and you should be able to sort it out.