car vibration and what appears to be a wobble in the rear end when i accelerate...Why.

fuzland
0

Asked by fuzland Jun 29, 2012 at 01:09 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have what feels like hesitating and a vibration when I accelerate in my 87 corvette.  I have replaced both tires, all the rear end joints including the drive shaft joints, also both rear hubs.  What is it...I am going broke trying to fix it...if it were a rear end differential wouldn't I only feel it when I am making turns?  I only feel it when I accelerate...It feels just like an out of balanced tire along with a vibration.

6,745

does your driveshaft have a carrier bearing? Its a piece that looks like a support that goes around the driveshaft right after is seperates into 2 pieces. The driveshaft should have no play in this bearing if pushed up and down, or side to side.

fuzland
0

This 1987 does not have a carrier bearing....I again checked the drive shaft for play..there wasn't any play back and fourth or up and down...Help ...what is it?

6,745

The only other thing i could think of is to have the rear end checked out. Make sure the diff is good and all bearings.

trip65

the rim might be bent.

CJ Michaels
705

yeah like andrew said, the rear end could be loose (maybe front end too)....while the car is on still on the ground, rock the car side to side from the rear end to see if its moving side to side, if it is then check all ur control arm bushings and see if the control arms may be a little loose and need to be re-pressed or replaced.....also idk if u've done this, but while the car is off the ground, wobble the tires a bit to check for any unusual movement

Robert Lewton
0

had similar problem, go over 45 mph terrible vibration throughout entire car. Could find no help, finally figured out myself. worse when car drivetrain under load, (accelerating or decelerating). Here is answer that even stumped the chevy garage: Rear wheel allignment.... camber is off rear wheels should be at 0 (straight up and down) otherwise puts joints in bind, my guess is your rear tires are sucked in on bottom. Simply adjust by shortening or lengthening the rods that go from your wheel assembly to in front of the rearend (gear box). hope this helps