Help with a constant humm when i turn car on from engine

zvett86
0

Asked by zvett86 Jul 02, 2012 at 12:12 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

I have a 1986 vet, yesterday it started making a constant loud humm noise frm engine.  No warning lights came on, oil levels ok, could it be the alternator since my volts r running under 12. they r at 11.6 or could it be the water pump I know it is going bad but doesnt leak etc.?  Please help im a female and need to find a trust worthy source for repairs.

Michael McGrail
4,515

If your volts are under 12 then your system is not charging. Ideally they should be between 13.8 - 14.4. Now is the alternator the "humm" noise? Dunno. I would have the alternator checked to make sure it is not bad, and then go from there trying to locate the noise.Chances are it is the alternator though.

Rob Vukelich
225

Your serpentine belt goes around the alternator, air compressor, power steering and your water pump. If any one of those components has a bad bearing, it could make a noise and cause the belt to slip or break. This in turn can cause the alternator to spin too slowly and not charge. However this is more unlikely as Michael suggested above, it is probably that the alternator is just not working but they usually don't make a humming noise. So you might have more than one problem.

You think this is helpful.
CJ Michaels
605

i'd have to hear the hum but i had a hum under my hood that ended up being power steering, check ur fluid level on that....i went out and bought a bottle of Bar's Leaks for power steering and it said to help noise from the pump....poured that in and it hasnt made a sound in months

zvett86
0

thank u all, it was the alternator