1984 corvette convertable ?

usmarine1967
0

Asked by usmarine1967 Mar 08, 2010 at 08:38 AM about the 1984 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I own a 1984 corvette convertable, has a (E) for exspearmental do I have a one of a kind. I was told corvette did not make a convertble in 1984 is this true ? if so how many. I have  the registration and everything. Somebodys got to know something.

Larry Quigley
5,080

If it has a E int the 10th position in the VIN that just indicates a 1984 model. There were no factory convertible made until 1986 so someone has probably added there one from a later car. A factory convertible would have the code 67 in the 6th and 7th positions of the VIN. Yours probably has the coupe code 07 in this position.

usmarine1967
0

The tital and registration shows it to be a convertble . It has different lover on hood and sides and the car is white with gold 24kt trim. The car has never been painted or been repaired in any way. It needs a little tlc it was just sitting in a garage for years. Let me ask. If tm says its a exsperamental car and convertable and its the only one what do you thinks its worth?

Larry Quigley
5,080

Where does it say "experimental ", what is the vin number?

usmarine1967
0

The Vin is.# 1g1ay0783e5102744 the guy I got it from called gm and that's what they said it was a exsperamental car. And its the only one. The car has no paint work and has not been cut or modified in any way. If you want to text me on my phone and I will text you back photos of the car. My # 479-857-5070.

Larry Quigley
5,080

your vin shows: 1 = country of origin US G = manufacturer GM 1 = make and type: Chevrolet passenger A = restraint system: non-passive/ manual belt Y = carline/series corvette 07 = body type: 07 (**corvette coupe hatchback**) 8 = engine: L83 engine 3 = check digit E = model year: 1984 5 = assembly plant: bowling green, kentucky last 6 = production number starting at 100001 and up: 2743th one made

usmarine1967
0

Hatch back ! Well the guy said that I could buy a hard top or go with the reg vinal or have both. I really don't know much about vetts. So hatch back mean like removable top or what. I do have the photos in my phone I m sure I can text them to you . I might could email them . Next thing is just what if it is a convertble that they classed as a hatch back? What could exsplain this? The man said it was a exspermental car that gm made. They might have what's the chances and what you think?

Larry Quigley
5,080

Hatches mean it has a hinged rear window that allows access to the back. It sounds like it is just a normal model with a targa roof. Meaning that there is a removable section of roof as opposed to a folding convertible top. That or the roof was removed and a 1986 or later removable top was added. He probably is just made that to make you think it was factory. Thin VIN doesn't lie and if it were a unique vehicle it would have paperwork or a special vin code. When GM sells special vehicle they are sold either with special vin that cannot be registered or with salvage title to avoid liability.

usmarine1967
0

The man did tell me he almost did not get to register it because the Vin said it did not exsist. I will call him in a day or two and ask him a lot of questions and I will let you know and thanks for your help. If you know someone who can run the Vin to see if it tell them it was a test model. I will get back in a day or two.

Larry Quigley
5,080

It is a normal vin, I checked. You can go and see for yourself with a Carfax report. It lists as a normal 1984 corvette coupe: http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=1G1AY0783E5102744&PopUpStatus=0

Denis Sagendorf
355

TRY DRIVING THIS BAD BOY YOU GOT TO A "NEW" CAR DEALER AND ASK THE SALES MANAGER TO RUN IT, OR EVEN BETTER GO AROUND BACK AND TALK STRAIGHT TO/WITH THE LEAD MECHANIC,HE MORE THAN LIKELY WILL BE YOUR BEST BET. AND GOOD LUCK,PLEASE POST BACK YOUR RESULTS, CAUSE IAM CURIOUS AS HOW THIS ENDS.. THANKS DENIS

Denis Sagendorf
355

THIS SOUNDS CRAZY EVEN TO ME, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW. A FRIEND OF MINE HAD THIS BOOK ON VETTES.IN THE TEXT WAS THIS MAN'S NAME HE WAS THE BRAINS BEHIND VETTES FOR LIKE 30 YEARS.CHECK B. DALTON AND AMAZON FOR THIS BOOK TITLE IS VETTES SOMETHING SIMPLE.GO THRU THE PUBLISHER FIRST THEN G.M. YEAH LIKE I SAID "CRAZY" AND ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK AND POST DENIS

califcarson
3,135

If the 84 is a convertible, and the vin shows it to be a hatchback, it is an after market chop job. The frame is not made to handle a convertible build as it is not structurally sound. I have seen in Corvette Fever magazine some repair shops have changed out the hatchbacks to fit the fancy of someone with money, but Corvette did not make a convertible that year. Any experimental vehicles made can not by law be sold or registered. It is worth around $2000 for junk parts.