facts on 1981

biggurnz
0

Asked by biggurnz Jan 06, 2007 at 03:11 PM about the 1981 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

how do I find out what plant it was built at and does it make any diffrence in the value?
this is my first corvette but when i was looking for one i wanted a 4spd should i have got the auto or does it make any diffrence?
Is the any factory things you can do to the car to get more horse power?
thanks

LouB
12,510

Here's one of our favorite Vette sites biggurnz. It will tell you how to decipher your VIN# to find out lots of information about your 1981 http://www.100megsfree4.com/corvette/1980/vet81.htm As for your second question, the type of transmission you have in the car doesn't really change the HP output of the engine which in your vehicle is 190 HP. The change lies in the gearing of the transmission and the points at which you change gears. That will affect the acceleration of the car and it's top end speed although it is unwise for you to explore the latter attribute too extensively. The question is more "Does it make a difference to you, or the way you drive?" Unless you are street dragging I'm guessing no. If you are a guy who loves a stick then this might sap your enjoyment a bit but only you can answer how big a problem that is. An automatic transmission will of course dull some of the more high-performance capabilities of the Vette but that's unlikely to impact you on a day-to-day basis unless you are racing it. Based on your concerns about it's value I doubt you are. Oh and perhaps a Vette guy can tell you differently but I've found no evidence that plant in which the car was made has an impact on it's value. But here's a great site on things to factor into your cars value. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3000/guide2.html Hope that helps!