I want to sell my 1969 350/500hp corvette. My son's name was put on it when he died. Is the car still sellable without removing the details?

Lennylee
25

Asked by Lennylee Feb 10, 2012 at 03:29 PM about the 1969 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

This is a beautiful and powerfull car that I rebuilt when my son died. I had his name detailed (small) with a small scroll pattern. Should I remove this or can I take photos and sell as is? Will this depreciate the selling price?

dcatkin
15

It all depends on your feelings. All a buyer will care about it the cndition of the car. Of course this depends on what the buyer plans to do with the car.

Stingeray
275

I understand your sentiments for the car in general and your son in particular. You did not identify the 350 engine as a base-souped up 350, LT-1 or L82, which would make a significant different if the option to restore the Corvette to its original form in the future was considered. Explain the name application to any potential buyer, honesty is always the best sales pitch. I bought my 1973-Corvette from the father of a Vietnam Veteran killed in action and the father had held onto the car for 26-years before selling it to me. He asked that I not destroy the car or drag race it, I agreed and I have honored this simple request as an issue of personal integrity. The car was sold to me at a bargain price, but the fatherly sentiments that came with it were priceless. I'm a Vietnam veteran, as well as a father, you never know the value of human sentiments until you can identify with another person at the most personal level. Trust you instincts, the value of the car is what it is and few things can change that. Sell it for its true value as a very collectible automobile and everyone should be in agreement. Do not hesitate to share your story--your son would be proud and you will be happier for having done so.....

Lennylee
25

It is not the sentiment of the car as it is the removal of the lettering before selling the car. I don't want to have to repaint the whole car again to put it up for sale. It takes high octane 110 fuel, small block LT-1. It is fully restored! I put in approx.$22,000 or more in the restoring of this car with all paperwork to that effect. It's time now to sell as I am getting older and can not drive it because of the power it has, and my weight. LOL There are very few miles on this car. Maybe 200mi. just showing off around the neighborhood.

Stingeray
275

Thanks for the follow-up. If the lettering is small as you stated in your initial question I would let the next owner decide what to do about it. Your additional info sheds a new light on the value of the Corvette, since you have the paperwork to support your investment and only 200-miles on the car since the work was completed I feel that you are in a strong position. The next owner will purchase the car for one of two reasons, the performance potential or the investment potential. Having said that I agree that $22,000 is a good starting point, you can either add the initial value of the vehicle (before the modifications) to your investment and sell it at that price or take the amount of your investment and make an abitrary decision on what the appreciated value of your investment is, how much of a return do you want on your investment? Good Luck and Best Wishes for a successful and profitable transaction......

califcarson
3,515

If the 69 Corvette is in great shape, never been in a wreck, you can get between $24,000, (low) to $40,000. Forget the paint question. If the person wants the HP and the extras you added, he will pay top price. Some Corvette enthusiasts are put off by huge modifications, so will not pay as much. If the paint is faded, but good shape, the person buying it may repaint it. A good paint job will be 10 grand, so you will not re-coup the money. If the buyer wants to change colors or do any paint scheme to his liking, he can paint it himself. My 69 Vette, (445 HP) is 11 years old on the paint and has a few chips. It has not seen much daylight, and still looks very good. If someone offered $40,000 they'd have it. I would not let it go for $30-35,000. Think of two things. De-tune the motor or swap for a new crate motor, and go on a diet. n It is fun to drive. (I went on a diet also)

califcarson
3,515

Click on my picture and look at my Viet Nam gift from me to me in 1969.