sllding door not latching

Magster
10

Asked by Magster Jan 18, 2012 at 04:09 PM about the 2006 Honda Odyssey LX

Hoping this is not a dealer fix with big bucks...today, the power sliding door closed
but did not latch.  I turned off the power door and manually closed it, again it did
not latch.  When I push the door in to latch it manually, it just sits there, but does
not latch.  I tried to lock all the doors to engage the latch but it did not work.  The
slid open while I was driving it.  I checked all the spaces under the door and the
rubber tubing all around the door and everything is fine.  The outside door handle
seems empty - like it's not attached to anything.  But since the door is not latched,
the outside doesn't release the latch when I pull it.  I googled the issue but nothing
similar came up.  It is a 2006 Odyssey. Thanks.

trustee42
65

Dear rcr: i FOUND THESE TWO ON A GOOGLE SEARCH, HOPE THEY HELP. I SUGGEST YOU DO MORE SEARCHES TOO. 1) "Just encountered the same problem with my 01's door. It was a simple five minute fix for the honda tech. He cleaned both of sensors for the door, the ones on the body and the ones on the door itself. Now, I had wiped the sensor's myself with clean cloth and it didn't work. He said the erasers work every time. Hopes this helps, give it a try." 2) Subject: Re: repair for automatic doors in minivans From: elrondxxx-ga on 28 Oct 2004 14:38 PDT I had the very same problem and I found the fix from another google search, I'll just cut and paste the fix as follows: On the inside passenger side fuse box, find fuse #13 (4th in on top). I think it is listed as "Clock Reset" and is a 7.5 size fuse. Remove it for 30 seconds and then replace. Open the passenger side door and then the driver side. I tried every other fix and this finally did it. I have no idea why, but thanks to whoever gave me this suggestion. Saved big $. It really works try it out.

Magster
10

Thank you Trustee. I did come across those two and tried the clean the sensor one, but not the fuse solution. While Googling, I came across a youtube clip where the guy was talking about loosening the 3 screws that hold the back latch on the door and that it worked for his car. I decided to try the same thing but was unable to get the screws loosened. I decided to spray wlg on the screws but some also got on the latch. And suddenly, the latch engaged itself! The wlg must have loosened it and it was stuck before, may e from the cold, maybe from lack of lubrication. Anyway, it works now. Yay white lithium grease!

Kirk McCurdy
385

Sounds like your closer motor latch on the sliding door is seizing up. I would use a thinner lubricant than white lithium grease as I have seen white lithium grease cause the same problem as you are having. If you consistently have problems with this then I would recommend replace the closer motor assembly, which comes with a new closer motor and new latch mechanism.

Arvie
0

I just had a problem with my 2007 Odyssey EX-L driver side sliding door not latching. It just literally stopped latching - no intermittent problems. I live in Wisconsin and it has been very cold so I initially thought maybe that had something to do with it (I.e freezing issue). I usually manually open/close the door. The power open/close (from the driver console) would open and close the door but it just would not latch closed. I had to tie it closed with a rope to get home. I found this thread and tried Trustee42's suggestion of removing the 7.5A fuse on the passenger side fuse box and it fixed the problem....? What the hec? The fuse was labeled "Instrumentation" in the user manual and "Illumi" on the fuse box cover. It is the forth fuse back from the front end fuse. Thanks trustee42! Your suggestion along with at little net surfing saved me some big $$.