High oil consumption but no oil on driveway engine light on all the time

cmcdonald824
25

Asked by cmcdonald824 Jan 10, 2013 at 01:03 PM about the 2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD

2003 CRV uses lots of oil but no smoke or on driveway.  Parents took it in repeatedly for the engine light but never a fix, light always stayed on.  Car has low annual mileage, now at 50,000.  Local mechanic wants to but in ignition coils, redo a fuel induction service and replace the valve cover gasket.  Sounds excessive for an oil leak.

45,645

Define "lots of oil". A quart every thousand miles is considered normal consumption. It's a lot cheaper to pour in $20 worth of oil per year than replace engine parts. Replace the valve cover gasket since it could be a source of oil usage. Get the codes read and report back to see if coils will shut the check engine light off. What is "redo fuel induction service"?

cmcdonald824
25

I have to buy a 5 quart container of oil a month, driving about 40 miles a day. The fuel induction service ($100) was on the repair estimate and I know that the service owner mentioned that we just had the service the last ime we were in.

John Sturman
1,035

it could be an oil scraper ding damaged on the bore or it could be an oil feed pipe damaged where it is leaking onto the catch pan underneath

45,645

That is a lot of oil. Works out to a quart every 200 miles. Way too much for a engine with 50K. Oil is used in three ways. One way is a leak which you say that there is no sign of. Another way is that it is getting by the rings and burnt. That usually leaves blue smoke when running. The third way is leaking valve guides. When a car sits for a few hours and oil leaks through the guides. When the car is started, blue smoke will be in the exhaust until the oil burns off, --- To find out where your oil is going, have the engine compression tested. First test is with the spark plugs out and the cylinders dry. Second test is with a squirt of oil in the cylinders to seal the rings. If the pressure numbers for the second test are higher than the first, the rings are bad.

cmcdonald824
25

Saw posts on other sites concerning leaks around gasket of sensor. Is there a picture or diagram of the oil feed pipe location or/and the location of the sensor so I can locate them? This car was in a front end collision and was fixed before my brother bought it for my parents. With my parents being elderly and my dad not a car person, they had a dealer $2300 estimate to have fix whatever, my brother vetoed that. Another repairshop said that the engine light being on was no big deal. However, the codes that the recent shop discussed was that the car was misfiring. They replaced the plugs and wires last time and the light went off for a day. I assume that is when the codes reset. Now this shop is hinting at replacing the induction coils and the plugs and wires again.

gabe26_us
30

if the vehicle is coil over plug then the ign coil . can fix it but if return with the same problem. then u have internal problem like tight valve or burnt exhaust valve.

John Sturman
1,035

it does sound like either the valve guides or a damaged valve causing the missfire and the excesive oil consumption would recomend a top end rebuild or a second hand head to combat it regards j.s autos

peterpt
30

It sounds as though your car has the problem described in the following. I'm just figuring out if mine has it as well: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2963428