Storage of corvette

Virago99
0

Asked by Virago99 Oct 05, 2010 at 09:43 AM about the 1974 Chevrolet Corvette 2 Dr STD Coupe

I have a 1974 Stingray.  I am going to store it in an out building with a concrete floor. What should I put under the tires to prevent dry-rot of the tires. I have 4 rubbber mats that are 5/8 inch thick. Also, I heard that I should fill the gas tank completely to eliminate moisture. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Zack Pochapsky
0

put it on jacks and oil the tires.

xntric1
10

First of all, the term "dry-rot" is a very misleading (and overused) term--nothing, including wood, rubber or any other material, will rot without a specific and substantial amount of moisture. Although it can all be explained in detail, I'll keep this short to answer your question. If the building is relatively dry, the only moisture will be condensation from differences in temperature from the concrete and the air just above it. If you use some unfinished boards or plywood, the wood will absorb this condensation. Raising the vehicle is also a good idea....but DON'T put oil on the tires....that's asking for trouble with driving around the next tight corner (besides the fact that certain additives in oil can actually break down the integrity of the tire)