hood popping up

rodjo45
35

Asked by rodjo45 Feb 05, 2007 at 10:25 PM about the 1974 Chevrolet Corvette 2 Dr STD Coupe

the hood on my 74 vett keeps poping up i have tried to adjust it with no luck. i have never had no promblems with it before. i hit a little bump and it pops. any i deas out there. rod

tropikalpirate
5,005

The latches that hold the hood in place appear to have moved. It is possible for you to adjust it. I would get a hand held mirror and just before the hood is closed hold the mirror in front of where the hood would be latched down. This would allow you to see which way you need to adjust the latch to fit correctly into the hood. It has probably moved a little forward or two the side so when you hit a bump it is bumped out. The mirror will help you see which direction you need to adjust it. Good luck.

Anonymous
0

When centering the male latching pins on the body with the female catches on either side of the hood, I've put masking tape with a small nail on the mail end, and another piece accross the latch opening on the hood. Then slowly lower the hood, and see where the nail left a mark in the tape. Move your latches over so the naill mark hits the center of the latch. It's best to remove the male pin from one side first. After you have the first one set up, put the pin back in and center it. (If you get them both off center the hood can be hard too open. When both are centered, screw the male pin in or out until your hood fits level.

califcarson
2,055

You also should make sure your latches work properly. Make sure they "close" all the way. They work like a jaw, so a little lube will work. Maybe an adjustment in the cable is needed to allow them more movement. Are there any worn parts on the male end of the latch which is on the hood? How about the female or jaws end. Wear happens. Of course after 6 years, I'm sure it is figured out.