How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work!?

Michael Collins
5

Asked by Michael Dec 19, 2009 at 01:22 PM

jml12345
1,115

most posi units have 2 clutch packs with a spring in the middle, in a case, in the axle. the clutches provide just enough torque to turn the wheels. other then that its like an open axle, unless if you have some fun with it.

joedirt56
30

it just does, similar to how a rainbow is made

Joseph Gahol
915

it regulates traction lika the Traction Control System...something like that....it transfers power to the rear wheels...

Larry Hanniman
50

It would depend on what year the rearend was from pre 1969 Dodge used what was known as a true posi which actually locked the 2 axles together but this set up actually caused control issues and was stopped

Joseph Gahol
915

is it the same with the Mitsubishi Pajero's 2wd-4wd stickshift? the Pajero has 2 transmissions and it drives me crazy....both the regular transmission and the 2wd-4wd drives me crazy coz u have to use the clutch on both of them to get the Pajero moving...

jml12345
1,115

are you talking about a spool?

Joseph Gahol
915

something like that....is it the same or is it different from a Posi-Trac?

Larry Hanniman
50

Ok they talk about a locked center differential which is like the old detroit lockers it actually makes the axle a solid unit, You can shift it in and out. This arrangement was very popular in offroading because you had the best of both worlds solid axle in the dirt and one wheel peel on the pavement. As for stopping to engage the 4x4 this is due to the fact the front hubs are the reaction type which means the truck has to be in 4x4 to lock the hubs. so if you try to shift on the fly the front drive shaft isn't turning and it will grind. Hope this helps