Why is my toyota corolla still heating after I changed the head gasket

Leogovender123
20

Asked by Leogovender123 Aug 02, 2013 at 01:21 AM

Hi guys , I have a 1989 toyota corolla
, I have changed the head gasket
and plugs and basically did a
service on the car coz it was over
heating , I was told not to send the
head for skimming by a toyota
specialist coz it is straight , I put
everything back and took it for a
drive yesterday but it is still heating I
did not replace the thermostat , the
car is currently running without a
thermostat , what should I do from
here?

25,375

Is it still overheating without a T stat? If yes then you need to have the radiator flow tested or just replace the radiator, also check the fan clutch operation, it may not be engaging when it should.

Leogovender123
20

Yes its still heating without the thermostat . I assumed it probably a pipe that clogged so I wanted to take it out and flush it , the radiator water is also dirty although I put a litre antifreeze in there , how do I go about checking if the fan is kicking in at the right times?

judge_roy

"the radiator water is dirty"----baaaad moojoo man~ plain tapwater should never be used as coolant otherwise you'll end up with the situation that you currently have which is cooling passages all choked with rust...at the shop where I worked we had the capability of running a hose PLUS an air blast...we made a special fitting so you could blast air while the water was running just to clean the block....results vary, and at the end of the day are going to have to fill the system with 50/50 mix like you should have done after your first overheat....now flyin' on a wing and a prayer...don't rightly know of a way to do this in an environmentally responsible fashion these days~ capture the fluid in five gallon buckets and take it for recycling at the auto parts store~

judge_roy

measure the temperature with a thermo spot gun at various points to see where the hot spots are....yes the fan should engage around 200 degrees~