Has Anyone Had This Probelm? Bought this car from a auction got home noticed all vin numbers are missing, but has a clear title I went and got a police report on the car, ask the auction which owned the car and sold it not a contract out car, I asked him to see if he would do the right thing and just give my money back and said no it was a buy as is even though a car with no vin should be told at time the car is being sold and excuse was it was there first auction and did not think to announce it was a theft recovery just want to see what you guys think before I get a attorney to get my money back and attorney fees? Thanks for your help in this matter.

MustangGT03
35

Asked by MustangGT03 Aug 13, 2013 at 09:31 PM

Title issue?

Racer_X
13,585

Ok, I remember you from a couple of days ago. Didn't realize you got this car from an auction directly. My advice to you is the same as it was 2 days ago: Lawyer Up!! They may or may not have broken any laws by selling a theft recovery vehicle without notifying you, so see what your local Police Dept. says on that. Definitely hire a Lawyer if the cops can't do anything. No way in HELL I'd want the Mustang under THESE circumstances! The fact that it was their 1st auction is ZERO excuse for being dishonest about the car. Sue them for ALL you can...the price of the car and THEN some!! Remember the Lawyer has to get paid as well, so you'll want to sue for MORE than what you paid for it!! Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Fordtudor37
4,005

Auctions are all "As-Is, Where-Is" type of venues. You might be able to read in the original auction material for the car if there was an "Original Title Offered", but I highly doubt it because somewhere that would show they could confirm the title matched the car. For the most part all auctions are "caveat emptor - 1.buyer's risk: the commercial principle that the buyer is responsible for making sure that goods bought are of a reasonable quality, unless the seller is offering a guarantee of their quality "at the time of sale". --- - - You will save yourself a lot of hassle if you like the car that much to just apply for a "new VIN number assignment" from the state you live in as you don't know if the title you hold in your hand actually goes to that car. I can see a lot of "he said, you said" and a lot of money going out the window to the lawyer without progress. I would personally tell you to strip it to build a hot rod or street rod, or resell the car "For Parts Only. As-Is, Where-Is" and call it just another story in the "lessons learned" section of your life's novel.

MustangGT03
35

Thanks Racer X I'm giving them till Friday to reconsider and then I will apply for a small claims court and cost of car lawyer days missed from work, I have checked with State Police and they said that all auctions and dealers have to get a form showing the title goes to the car and have you sign a form stating you know it has no vins and they have been removed because it was a theft recovery car, he try to say he has sold many cars with no vin number as long as you have a paper it is legal State Police said no car without a vin is allowed on the street and the state I live in does not issue replacement vins for cars and neither does Ford. Just figured he would do the right thing when I asked would he refund the money he said what did you purchase it for and when I told him 4k he said he could not afford to purchase it back, police report shows Insurance Valued the car 10,400 guess he did pretty good on it 14,400 for a theft recovery is pretty good money!

MustangGT03
35

Ford37 yes the car was auctioned as a ride and drive with clear title even had it written on the windshield. Guess Better Business Bureau may be a good person to get in touch with also? Said in the future he assures me that he would have a form for any no vin cars and offered a sorry 200 off my next purchase what a joke!

Racer_X
13,585

What you're saying does make sense @ Fordtudor37...and the end result may just be as you described it. However, there really isn't any money lost, if he at least gets a free consultation (over the phone or in person) with a Lawyer first. During this consultation, they will determine if the case is one they think they can win (otherwise, they'll basically refuse to help you, since they don't get paid unless you do). Therefore, no harm in trying that route. But, as was stated, be prepared to be in a position to have to keep the car and chalk it up as a "lesson learned" @ MustangGT03.

19,215

Also contact the vehicle manufacturer to see if there's a VIN hidden somewhere on the vehicle. If so, contact NCIB with that VIN and find out if it's a stolen vehicle. HTH. - Jim

Fordtudor37
4,005

Racer_X I completely agree with your statement "However, there really isn't any money lost, if he at least gets a free consultation (over the phone or in person) with a Lawyer first. During this consultation, they will determine if the case is one they think they can win (otherwise, they'll basically refuse to help you, since they don't get paid unless you do). Therefore, no harm in trying that route." A free education is a good thing !