I have a 68' mustang strait 6.it lags on power wen I press gas pedal why does it not have much power? What can I do to make it better ?faster? Please anyone help me very much appreciated.

Jimmy Vargas

Asked by Jimmy Jul 20, 2013 at 08:09 PM

Straight 6 ,68'ford mustang coupe, everything seems to work well except torque, when I
bought it , it hasn't moved for couple years years I did complete time up

In that tuneup, did you rebuild and setup the carberator properly? Add new gas since it's been sitting for years?

In addition to what Tom said check your ignition timing. Check that the vacuum advance for the distributor is working correctly as well as the centrifugal advance mechanism on the distributor. Be sure your new spark plugs are gapped correctly and the correct type. You should be using standard resistor type spark plugs. No platinum, double platinum, or iridium type. Your engine wasn't designed to run on them. HTH. -Jim

Michael Tutty

My first bet is the accelerator pump is not working properly. Also, with the I-6, it will not be a power house no matter what you do to or with it.