I have a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT. See details below

ExplorerProblems
0

Asked by ExplorerProblems May 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I have just had a rebuilt transmission put in along with a new catalytic converter put in.   After a couple days, I had stopped at a light and when I went to go, it jerked real hard, like it just went into gear.   I took it back into the shop and they said my catalytic converter was glowing purple.   I am being told that they need to reroute the harness to get it away from the exhaust manifold & to turn the wires away from the O2 sensor.   They had taken it into n car expert in electrical and he said there was a short in the harness which was causing fuses to pop.   Does this make any sense?

16,385

No doesn't make sense to me. If a converter was glowing like that that means there is a restriction causing it to get hot. If the exhaust were restricted enough to cause it to glow then the vehicle would be running terrible all the time. Not just a hard jerk from a stop light. I could see the wires getting onto the exhaust and shorting out popping a fuse depending of which one it was it could cause running issues with the transmission.

ExplorerProblems
0

I had a new catalytic converter put in about 3 months ago and everything was working fine until now. I had a new transmission put in last week. Within a couple of days, my explorer at times seemed like it was going to die instead of accelerating but never did die, Could my resulting issues have anything with the new transmission being put in? Or do you think it is something else.

95,895

Did you replace your ignition coils at somepoint? You might be having misfires contributing to your clogged catalytic convertor. Have someone diagnose your issue before it gets worse.