77 f150 how do I hot wire my truck... ? And of it turns on whothout turning key is my ignition the problem??

Fabi2330
45

Asked by Fabi2330 May 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I love my truck I just
hate that I can't drive it
... When I turn key all I
hear is a click sound
nothing ? If it's a blown
wire how much does it
cost to fix and how do u
find out what exactly is
wrong? Which wire how
do u find that out???
Help thank u.

judge_roy

yes...first off your battery should be newer than five years old....the battery cables both being heavy 1/0 battery cable, the black (smaller of the two battery terminals) has a cable that connects to the chassis ground and the engine...the connection to the chassis ground should be wirebrushed clean and the lug too, remove corrosion from the washer and bolt and put them together along with the one that leads to the engine block...these all have to pull many amps that smaller wires would simply catch fire...you have a bad battery and/or corroded connections both black and the red one connecting to the starter solenoid~ clear up this battery situation (by getting a new reputable one) and new Battery cables (or renewed by cleaning) starter solenoid back to the battery and all connection should be free of corrosion~...then we will talk~

Fabi2330
45

If I jump start the solenoid starter with positive battery and crank with key would this also start the truck? Thanks for responding.

greebid
30

in fact, i think use a functional truck diagnostic tool is a good choice. It is a good DIY tool. and can be compatible with applications that diagnose engines, transmissions, ABS, instrument panels and more.

judge_roy

your connections are clobbered up....what's the difficulty with the wirebrush...jumpstarting can cause explosions and acid goes everywhere...just once you'll be involved with acids, when you put it right!~

Michael Tutty
4,915

If you are getting a single click, that normally means your starter motor is shot on these old Ford engines. Weak current normally makes the solenoid give a rapid clicking, as long as the key is turned. Changing the wires is always a good idea on an old vehicle. New ones are simple and easy to get, not expensive, and make a world of difference. I always upgrade to 1 gauge for all 3 of the leads. Don't forget the braided strap that grounds the body to the engine. If it is the starter, they are readily available rebuilt for about $100, or brand new for about $150 with a life time warranty.