2007 buick lucerne , water in spare tire well

Asked by soupbone Jun 19, 2012 at 09:40 PM

Bought used 6 months ago.  car is great, but I found 2 inches of water in the trunk. Mat is not wet, cannot see any water tracking/staining. Is there a drain that could back up, and possibly cause this?

James Boos

can check the seal that goes around the edges of trunk where the trunk closes maybe it got moved and water leaks in when it rains

Richard Schroer

yes, it is most likely your trunk seal- if you don't know how to check for that, hop in your trunk with a flashlight, close the trunk, and have a friend or family member run a hose with water around the edges- you will locate the leak quickly- the water doesn't have to be high pressure either. Obviously, don't stay in there for long!!

I just had the same problem with 4" of water in the well (no pun intended). There is an oblong formed opening in the inner wall roughly behind the taillight. It is about 3/4" x 1" and is covered by a glued-on patch. My patch was partially glued and the water stream flowing from down the truck edge, through the cracks to the left of the right taillight, flows right over this hole and into the truck. You can access the patch from under the car, just above the tailpipe. Remove the patch, get some heavy duty tape and cover the opening.

Thanks, Fireballjoe. There is a matching opening on the driver side of the car. Mine was leaking there. I patched both sides.

Peter Eckhoff

Fireballjoe - that was the answer to my problem - thank you! other sites said you had to take off the bumper to access - I was able to find it with your instructions -