2jz vs rb26dett?

Fred McClelland
1,815

Asked by Fred Oct 17, 2008 at 06:56 AM

Which motor do you think rains supreme? Both are pretty much bulletproof but let me see what you guys think?

Glenn Morris
120

The 2JZ can with stand higher horsepower for longer on standard internals than an RB26DETT, which seems to be a big selling point here for people going for a high horsepower, street/drag set up. The additional capacity of the 2JZ also helps it spool larger turbos up quicker. It's true, the RB26DETT can be made a 3 litre, but again, its an engine out rebuild. Having said that, if i had a choice, I'd own a GTR before a supra. If i was given either one though, i wouldnt argue :-P

Brian Timm
85

on straight motor specs.... 2JZ inside a car? gimme an R34 V-SPEC II any day of the week.

Glenn Morris
120

R32 V-Spec II. :-D Much better looking!

Cory York
155

I might be a little biased, but I would have to go with the 2JZ as well. Yes, the RB can be stroked to 3.0L, but the 2JZ can in turn be stroked to 3.4L so that's kind of a moot point. Plus, I know for a fact that you can run a 2JZ at 700hp+ up to 8krpm on stock internals, and I haven't ever seen that done on an RB motor. But I can't say I'm 100% positive, because I've never driven a car with an RB in it, so I could be totally wrong.

Fred McClelland
1,815

idk i love both motors i dont see how you could not both are great platforms for power and have endless modifications for them. As for pretty much saying that the 2jz is inferior to the RB then you obviously have never drive a supra or a skyline or even a 240sx with a swap.

Joel Beeby
95

Have you driven any those? ^^ I haven't. I've seen pictures of some crazy bastards putting a 2jz in a 205 GTI though. That shit's awesome.

Glenn Morris
120

yeh i've actually seen a toyota cressida with an rb26dett running 800hp on stocko internals revving to 8000rpm... Needless to say, it didnt last long before it left a nice long strip of oil down the centre of the strip :-D Much of a muchness really. For most of us mortals, who aren't able to afford the kind of coin that a big HKS kit requires, it comes down to personal preference... I've always been a nissan man, so for me, an rb26dett, with full exhaust, intercooler, slight boost increase and a computer remap would be all I'd do to it. Gives it more poke than standard, but definately still liveable on a daily basis....

Fred McClelland
1,815

really thats crazy

Fred McClelland
1,815

and yes ive driven a 240sx with the swap and a supra but not a skyline

Mark Jonathan
55

a cressida with an rb?? thats pretty intense....and 800hp with stock internals...i have nothing to say to that lol...

Khris Peter
185

My Uncle's cousin has a pet project R33.... quad turbo (WTF????) I guess there advantages in having four for the RB series. XD Check out this baby.... 1000HP. 80 grand AU

Fred McClelland
1,815

i would think it would turn out more hp then a measly 1000 from 4 turbos they do the same thing with two or can the motor setup not handle more then that?

Stoil Michaylov
125

I've spent a lot of time in the Sunny South Africa with chaps modifying those motors and every one has come to the same concencus. The 2JZ non VVT is the better engine. Its a lot stronger and in terms of dollar per killowatt its a better deal. We got a 2JZGTE with stock internals to make 730 HP on the wheels with just an intake and branch upgrade with one T78 turbo. Most people would say 730 HP is no big deal but concider that the boost is a mere 1.5 bar and we are a mile above sea level. The supra motor any day, its cheaper to modify and if you really wanna go out and stroke that engine you can go as big a 3.4L. The RB26 is a strong motor as well but you need deep pockets for that one. and the supra is still better.

Stoil Michaylov
125

Quad Turbo ???? as far as can see there are only 2 there. Why would any one wanna split a 6 cylinder motor into 4 turbos is beyond sence.

Fred McClelland
1,815

you have probably seen that new kit for the R35 right? thats crazy quad chargers i couldnt even wrap my head around starting to install that kit lol

Stoil Michaylov
125

no dude I haven't yet seen it .... I'm a big 2JZ fan .... I've seen the potential of that engine prove it self over and over again. but the motor in the picture that was provided further up in the forum only has 2 turbos ...... Often there are plenty of wanna be's that act like they know everything. especially when it comes to turbo chargers.

Khris Peter
185

Lolz, no, that pic is from Autosalon, of a twin turbo RB. I dont have a pic of the Quad one. And yeah, I agree on the Supra 2JZ.

GTRJOSH
0

I drive an RB26, but I must say I am very impressed with the 2JZ motor. I have personally seen a supra run 9;s with a stock bottom end. My RB runs 10's but I spent my life savings on it.

GTRJOSH
0

That engine is not Quad turboed, its twin turbo with a supercharger on it. Im sure.

Stoil Michaylov
125

We have a 2JZ here that runs nines ..... stock bottom end stock head ...only a bigger turb and 1/5 bar boost. The RB26 is a great motor but its a glass motor ..... you can't allow things to go out of control, not even for a split second cos rods break and valves bend and and and.

Punborpit Saisupan
75

Actually I do believe the RB26 is superior in term of engineering. However for HP/$$ I would say 2JZ.

jerry2jz
10

i would got with 2jz-gte is a better engine i have on that was n/a on a supra mk3 running on a dialy basis and it's actually better one of my friends has a 94 rb26 and had some serious problems last time was doing dougnuts the h/g blown away that time as a matter of fact my 2jz-n/a has 540hp to wheels with stock pistons and head i just put a few things in it of course the non vvt-i one i would take the 2jz but i respect the rb engine is great though!

gundeb
10

it has 2 turbos >:/

Jake Kerlin
0

I think it comes down to a matter of preference/opinion. I personally like the 2JZGTE much more, and they can handle more HP on stock internals like everyone here is saying. You can run high boost and push the engine really hard without cracking open the block, which is good news for those with relatively little patience and a moderate budget (such as myself). But of course, budget becomes a moot point when you're talking about these two behemoths : ) Much respect and love to the RB series of engines though!

lighttech
0

2JZ Any day I have a 2JZ VVTI in a MK 3 Supra and it runs I haven't done anything to it other than bigger inter cooler it still has stock twins