left rear brake is locked

Asked by Bri0660 Feb 03, 2013 at 11:17 AM about the GMC Sierra C/K 1500

I have a 1994 gmc sierra and the left rear brake is locked so the tire will not turn. The springs are good and the pads are in great condition. If I depress and relase the emergancy brake the problem goes away for a few feet. How do I get the brake to release and fix this problem.

What kind of parking brake is on the rear axle? Springs indicate a drum brake and pads indicate a disc brake.

They are drum brakes

Possibly bad rubber brake line going to wheel cylinder. Loosen brake line at wheel cylinder. If brake releases replace rubber brake line.

This is not a easy one... With the wheel turning for a couple of feet after releasing the mechanical brake, it rules out the obvious like a seized cable or arm. ---- Take it apart and check the pivot points and free operation of the levers. Back off on the adjustment with the star wheel.

Or you could be getting in to something more serious, nothing to do with brakes, a limited slip differential with a broken cog on a planet gear. it is indeed not an easy one we have here ..the wheel will turn until that gear comes around again and lock up, and it can happen on only one side

I am having the same problem, BUT i have found that the bolts that hold the wheel cyclinder broken, my question is why, I replace bolts and they broke again.

Are you sure your axle is not bent? Jack your truck up( both rear wheels off the ground) crank up and put in gear. Watch your rear wheels. Is the one on that side wobbling in and out? If so bent axle.