1998 dodge ram wont start

kristibarney
150

Asked by Jul 05, 2013 at 10:23 PM about the Dodge Ram

We have replaced the fuel pump, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and
computer. We have checked all the relays and fuses they are all good. Any
help would be much appriciated.

judge_roy

air, fuel, spark, timing...cam timing...the fault lies with one of these~ you've got an air filter, you've got a new fuel pump (but do you have fuel pressure?) have you checked voltage at the coil? have you checked the ASD relay to make sure that it is enabled? have you looked at the timing marks?

jamnblues
15,135

More information is needed- you say it doesn't start- does the engine turn? Is it getting spark? Is it getting fuel?

kristibarney
150

Its cranking over but no start. Its not getting fuel or spark. We have checked the asd relay its working.

judge_roy

power to the coil...power to the fuel pump...check both~

kristibarney
150

We have power to both.

judge_roy

excellent, hate to suggest "starter spray---ether" but now that we have spark and fuel, should kick right over...do you hear fuel circulating through the fuel rail when you put the key to the 'on' position?

kristibarney
150

No that's the problem. We are getting power everywhere but still will not start. Fuel pump doesn't even kick on. We have even put two different diagnostic tools on it and is not pulling up any codes.

judge_roy

aha...the emergency fuel cutoff switch...have you tapped bumpers to snap it off?...there could be a reset button under the dash, near the fuel tank...kick panel...fords, and gm have them dodge has a "red button" somewhere...this one you need to press to enable the fuel pump if you can find it....if you know that the truck has been smacked in the front (maybe when it was towed?) disabling the high pressure source~....magic button...yes~(sounds grimms fairy tale, but most possibly)

judge_roy

okay here's the dope~ should be in the fuse box on the side of the dash on driver's side. If you can't find it just pull the fuse going to the fuel pump If your are looking for an inertia switch, it is not a Ford, there isn't one. ...that doesn't help, but what I've found on the subject~

kristibarney
150

We have pulled it. Still nothing.

judge_roy

"pulled it"? not quite sure what now...hopin' to get your fuel pump happy with 12 volts going to it~ The source for this power goes through the ignition switch, a fuse a relay before it gets to your fuel pump~...perhaps an emergency fuel cutoff, but you'd think they'd run that one through the Automatic Shut Down relay...wouldn't you?

judge_roy

if you've got power to the fuel pump...and it still ain't pumpin' would have to suggest that it is bad~ooooo sorry~

kristibarney
150

Ya we are thinking we are going to have to take it to dodge and let them figure it out.

judge_roy

well here are a few choices at any rate~

kristibarney
150

Thanks for all your help

Seth Coleman
30

what was causing the problem?

tallgirl
20

check your catalectic converter

petermarty60
130

About 2 years ago my 98 ram 5.9 died at idle in the dead of Minnesota winter and would not start up again. I replaced the can and crank sensors coil distributor and various other parts that I thought may might cause it. After all the headaches I pulled the valve cover on the right bank and low and behold I dropped the number 7 intake valve. Was able to put everything back together even after the valve hit the piston (piston still good) and never lost compression. This happened at about 165000 miles. To this day it still runs like a champ and has 202000. All dodges have that issue whether 318 or 360.

4x4greendodgeram
60

98 ram 150 cranks-no start replaced ecu repl crankshaft senor twice repl cam senor when the asd relay is in i get link error when i jumb it out i can get error codes from my ecu still no spark can hear fuel pump running all the time bu no fuel thru injector or cylinders is there an infiler on gas line and is the a fusible link on the ign

4x4greendodgeram
60

when the relay for the asd is installed i get link error on my scanner when i jumb it the computor lets me know error codes same with fuel pump when relay is in it runs all the time when the ign switch is turned on

4x4greendodgeram
60

dash board guage on a no start 98 ram 1500 5.9 no spark fuel pressure at rail replaced ground wire from alt bracket to batt still no start

Edurchiv
0

Check fuel regulator pipe connector

Lee Hawk
30

Have a 1998 dodge 1500 that will not start. Engine turns over fine. None of the guages are working now. Warning lights do come on. Any suggestions

kristibarney
150

Change your computer. Thats exactly what happened to mine. Dodge has to program it.

Lee Hawk
30

Already replaced it. Still no change

Moe9119
0

Well I'm hearing that you don't have to have it programmed, that it should work. .

Hazen Haze Martin
10

I've got the same problem with my 98 Ram 1500. No spark. Engine turns over fine. Gauges not working. Have replaced sensors in the recent past. The only thing I haven't changed is the computer. Thoughts?

Barry Johnson
20

I have a 98 5.2 dodge durango it turns over gets gas spark and good compression but won't start help please.

ggielissen
0

I have a 98 Durango 318 has spark and fuel still wont start i replaced coil and crank sensor checked asd and fuel pump relay come to find out i was not getting power to my asd jump it truck ran for about a minute then died now i have power at my fuel pump relay but no fuel pump help

maddog10931
10

98 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4. no spark no fuel pressure at rails. have changed plugs,wires,cap, rotor, pickup coil, ing coil, crankshaft sensor twice. Now the innova diag tester is saying asd relay circut, asd relay power, & still says the cranckshaft senser.. Yes it turns over but thats it. Any help???????

dogdog13
0

I have a 1998 dodge it will start and run,I can trun it off come back to start it agin it will not start. Sometimes it will or will not. It got spark gas , let it sit over night it starts.

maddog10931
10

Dogdog13. Ur fuel injectors r clogging. Use seafoam or a good injector cleaner.