hummer h3

Nate Gainey
0

Asked by Nate Dec 08, 2008 at 06:33 PM about the Hummer H3

what are the biggest tires that will fit on a stock hummer h3 with the adventure package?

Kyle G
85

Adjust the torsion bars and you'll be able to run a 35.

Logan Saunders
1,060

Disregard the advise given by Kyle. That impulsive "slap them on there because they'll fit!" will create greater stopping distance, alignment, ride quality and clearance problems. If you want bigger tires, upgrade BOTH the wheels and tires as a unit. Use the standard upsize formula to increase the wheel/tire combo by two inches only. That will not change your turning radius, alignment specs or require any computer recalibrations. If you go larger than two inches, you'll need computer reclabriation and for safety, a brake upgrade.

Logan Saunders
1,060

Almost forgot. If you do want to run something as large and aggressive as a 35" tire; you'll need to consider a body lift, chassis lift or both. The last time I checked, it cost approximately $1500.00 to $2500.00 per inch to do a chassis lift. The body lift is considerably less expensive. You'll still need new alignment and a brake upgrade.

Logan Saunders
1,060

The question is, will it be safe? Have adequate clearance, suspension rebound and maintain alignment? NO IT WON'T!

Andrew Mann
25

no i would say go with 31 inch. you could get away with 32 or 33 but that is pushing it and the axels wont handel it. you will also go for a really rough ride very bumpy with anything over 29 inch tires but go with 31

Logan Saunders
1,060

Andrew, please explain WHY this is a correct course of action and how your evaluations arrived at the size range of 29"-33"? Also please explain your contingency plan for the residuals created by those choices....we are all interested.

Nate Gainey
0

thanks for the responses, most were very helpful! the truck came stock with 33" tires on 16" rims. I am currently running the also stock 31" tires on 18" chrome rims from the h3x package, but the 31's look silly compared to the 33" that came on it. I would love to go with a 35" mud terrain on the stock 18" h3x rims if it will be possible with no upgrades. if not I suppose a very aggressive 33" mud terrain on the 18" h3x rims will have to do till I can afford the lift kit. any other responses would be helpful. THANKS AGAIN!!

Logan Saunders
1,060

Just be cautious in what advise you follow. The two threads posted by the teenagers is rock dumb and may get you hurt.

Logan Saunders
1,060

Almost forgot...you do know that the Hummer is being discontinued don't you?

aartig
0

The H3 features a two-speed, electronically controlled full-time four-wheel drive system that is suitable for both on-road and off-road driving in all conditions, with electronic locking front and rear differentials optionally available. Hummer H3

aartig
0

The H3 features a two-speed, electronically controlled full-time four-wheel drive system that is suitable for both on-road and off-road driving in all conditions, with electronic locking front and rear differentials optionally available. http://www.localcarsnow.com/browse_by_make_model_res.php?MID=HUMMER&MOD=H3

aartig
0

The H3 features a two-speed, electronically controlled full-time four-wheel drive system that is suitable for both on-road and off-road driving in all conditions, with electronic locking front and rear differentials optionally available. [url= http://www.localcarsnow.com/browse_by_make_model_res.php?MID=HUMMER&MOD=H3/%5dHummer H3[/url]

stoneman
25

Nate - 35's will be lovely on your ride, with appropriate rims for back spacing. I do believe you can do the Rancho 4" lift and rims for uder 4K and add tires to the bill - on top of it. Adding the 35's however, limited your suspension cycle - on stock suspension. your adventure package should have the lifted /torsion as is and 33's and the lower 4:1 transfer case - correct. And the 35's will weigh slightly more - find a lighter 35 and you'll be fine. happy trails I'm just about to put33's and a torsion lift on my regular H3(i know i should have looked around and found the adventure package - but choices were limited at the time)

stoneman
25

lol - just noticed your date of posting..................ooppps my bad :) (what did you go with anyway.........?)

PaulH3
80

New to the Forum, I dont agree with some answer's....I own a 08 H3 Hummer Adventure......Last week I just installed Nitto 315/75/16 on the OEM Wheels. At the time I still had the low front end and I have NO RUBBING issues fully turned to the Left or Right, NONE at all, in fact I have about 1.5" of clearence fully turned either direction. The other day I took a 1 1/16" wrench and got a hold of the torsion bar bolts underneith. Leveled the front end to the back, took about 30 min to do, very easy....Just make sure your mark the bolt heads and count the number of times you turn the bolts. On mine "going clockwise" 6 full turns on the driver side, which leveled off to match the rear and 5 full turns on the passenger side to match it with the rear.....Very easy.....Test drove both on the highway and stop and go, other than your sitting a tad higher there is no difference in ride quality in my H3.....Ive read horror stories in many forums regarding bigger tires and adjusting torsion bars, if you can read and follow instructions its simple. There are several good video's and you tube regarding this.....There's NO need to buy a lift kit of any kind to clear 35's.....Now if you have the H3 base model, you might run into some issues, but with the alpha and adventure you wont unless you have a poor rundown suspension..........Hope this helps

mattdj
10

I agree with Paul, Put 295/75R16 BFGoodrich all terrian on my 07H3, i had no suspension issues, turning issues, no lack of power, even on steep offroad conditions (some forum post claim the H3 is underpowered stock). the only issue created by the tires is breaking. initial stopping distance wasnt effected, if it was it wasnt noticable. think of it like pulling a boat without a break assited trailer. That is much more noticable. I did however have my rotors warp after 30,000 miles after switching to the tires. I replaced the breaks with upgraded calipers and rotors. stops much faster now. The vehicle isnt going to be a daily driver anymore, so it is going to get some 315/ 75R16 Mud Terrian KM2s. Only reasion I wouldnt use these tires as a daily driver are because they are spendy and wear quickly. Logans fears are unfounded for a H3, counter to popular belief the H3 is very different from the Canyon/Colorado. The H3 is actually made up of mostly 1/2 ton equivilent parts. bigger tires should be fine as most of the truck is engineered for upsized gear.

XXXGirl
5

Paul I agree to disagree with you about the 315/75/16 tires. I have a low front end as well and when I cut the wheel it rubs against the sway bar.