I have a chance to buy from the original owner (who is still driving at 96) of a 1980 Volkswagen rabbit diesel, what should I offer him for it.

clarksville
0

Asked by clarksville Nov 25, 2011 at 09:56 PM about the Volkswagen Rabbit

papa

$800.oo to $1,200.00,they were good cars back in the day,but a lot had problems.

Gregory Drake
65

The early 1.6 diesels were dogs but I have seen many with 300k plus.. but with anything, condition is everything. There are some for sale in my area for 2500 just because theyre diesel. Unfortunately theyre rustbuckets and those folks are looking to capitalize on fuel cost. In showroom condition I would be comfortable with 3-4k.. In typical 30+ year use, 900 to 1100. In nearsighted-old-man-driving-to-the-elks-lodge-once-a-week condition you can run in between 1000 to 2000 comfortably. And remember, just because it doesnt get driven regularly doesnt mean it doesnt age or wear out. Time can be a killer too...

Alex Olsen
55

BUY IT!!! I have 2 rabbit pickups and it will be the best investment you can ever make, you can completely rebuild the engine for around $800 in parts. I would pay $750-$1000 depending on the condition, with it running remove the oil fill cap, if it looks like a steam engine coming out of there its pretty worn out and time for a rebuild but i would still buy it these things are like gold everybody wants them and in good condition they can be worth alot.

Karl Grimm
625

worth between $1,318-3,443