Why are 2 door cars more valuable than 4 door ones?

kawika66
95

Asked by kawika66 Apr 24, 2011 at 06:42 PM about the Chevrolet Bel Air

Back in the fifties and sixties, 4 door cars and 2 door cars were worth the same. What
happened in the meantime? Does anyone have a good idea?

Dave

vintage1956
55

4 doors just dont look as kool. except the four door sport coupe. I imagine however the extra doors add considerable weight and guys looking for a hot rod don't need any more weight.

metalic
0

ignorance,,,,,,,creates poverty.

HarvardBlue
125

I'm not sure why that is. Personally, I've only suffered annoyance with 2-door cars. If you have to give more than one person a lift, someone has to get out and pull their seat forward, or maybe just crush himself up against the dashboard while the other people squeeze into the back. I've always found 4-door cars much more desirable because they allow you to avoid that whole problem entirely.

Best Answer
Ralph Scarabaggio
55

Simply because they are cooler looking. I myself have a 4 door but I love it and got it for 5k whereas if a 2 door in the same condition would have cost 3 or 4 times as much!

kawika66
95

It might have all started in 1958, when Chevy came out with the Impala coupe. Could only buy coupes and convertibles that first year. Starting in 1959 Impala was available as a four-door, etc.