Heater has decided to blow cold air only

hosehead
50

Asked by Jan 02, 2011 at 10:25 AM about the Dodge Grand Caravan

Antifreeze is topped up, problem started with intermittent heat, now none at all.  Temperature gauge goes up to just about normal or slightly above - but no heat

Jonathan Furse
2,885

Sounds like some obstruction has gotten into the heater core or the hoses that go to it.

RHIBDriver
205

I have The same problem with my 93 Grand Caravan. I have replaced all of the hoses the only thing left is the heater core. I even replaced the water pump, thermostat and lubricated the vacuum valve that is online with the heater hose. You may want to check that valve to make sure that it is working properly. Not sure what year your van is, but this valve should be near the firewall online with the heater hose. Make note of the position that the lever on the valve with the heat set to cold. Then move the temp selector to hot and see if the valve opens or changes. You have to have the engine running while you do this because this valve is vacuum operated. You may just have a faulty valve. Or as someone else has already suggested a clogged heater core or hose. I hope this helps to solve your problem. Good luck!

hosehead
50

Hi Jonathan it was the water pump. We had been having to top up the antifreeze but couldn't find a leak. Finally afer letting it run, parked in a snowy driveway, we found the leak. It didn't show up when we were driving. Thanks for your help

hosehead
50

Hey, that is a lot of good information. This van is a 2002. Anyway, found the problem, it was the water pump. thanks for your help

Energetic
80

Your heater core is plugged off, if you go under the hood and reverse the hoses it should clear up for awhile, but you need a new core

CrystalW
0

I have the same problem and have filed a lemon law suit since it is a 2013 and they have no fix as written to me in an email from Chrysler

adamq
10

are the ac light and the receurculate lights flashing if so try re calibrating it first there is a video on you tube its hvac calibration 96-2000 mini vans

Tsban
20

Strange but true,do not turn your fan motor on high for the first 10 minutes-Dodge Tech.