Speedometer not working....

gregw44
0

Asked by Mar 26, 2009 at 09:17 PM about the Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT

I have a 2003 Trailblazer EXT LT.  I bought this vehicle used with a very limited warranty.  I have encountered a problem with the speedometer not working properly or not working at all in some cases.  I called my mechanic about this issue and he had me call the local dealer because they heard about a recall on the trucks for the same thing.  The dealer was unsure if my vehicle would be covered and suggested that I call GM for more information.  GM stated that there is a recall in place... However, not for my vehicle.  It seems that this problem has happened on every other vehicle in this class made by GM but, for some reason, the trailblazer with the exact same problem is unrelated and not covered by this recall.  GM went so far as to tell me that this is the first time that they have heard of this problem and there is nothing that they could do to help.  I found that interesting considdering my local dealer service manager (mind you... i live in a very small town in KY) told me that he sees 2 or 3 of these a week.  That being said, I was responsible for the total cost (with no help from GM) for a vehicle diagnostic (run at the request of GM) ($85) and the replacement instrument cluster and labor for a grand total of $453.26... Again... Out of my pocket with no help whatsoever from GM.  I did a little research online and found that this is a very common occurance.

If you happen to share in my troubles and also have this problem, I have filed a complaint on the NHTSA website (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)

Here is the website: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Please go there and file a complaint... If enough people do this, we may be able to create a recall so we could recoup at least some of our losses.

Thank you.

Jack Adams
75

its interesting that you bring this issue up. i have a 2004 Trailblazer EXT and both my speedometer and tachometer have stopped working on it. the tachometer was the first to stop working properly, but it would sometimes come on but display wrong. now it hasn't moved in about a year or so. then my speedmeter started going the same thing, work, then not work and sometimes get stuck at a certain speed. it seems to be the worst when its been really cold, or if you are driving in the rain. at first i was able to reset the gauges by turning the car off, waiting a few seconds, turning the key to the run position for a few seconds, and then starting it back up again. however, it also got to the point where it also does not move at all. i talked to the dealer about it and they said it would cost a little over $500 to fix it. however, they told me that instead of replacing the unit, they take the old one out and rebuild it. i have been living without the speedometer for about six months now and i'm getting sick and tired of not knowing my speed, but the unit is just so expensive to fix. however, i will be more worried if the other gauges start acting up, such as my fuel gauge, coolent temp or oil pressure gauge. i have filed a complaint to the NHTSA and hopefully we can get a recall on this problem.

chevyp2p
60

I had the same problem with the speedometer in my car. I found a website where I had it fixed for $140. They rebuild the entire cluster the guy said that all the gauges in the instument cluster are driven by the same type of motors and that I should replacce all of them before the were out. It made sence to me since the rpm's gauge was beginning to act weird. anyways here is the addres in case you wanna check it out. http://www.speedometergaugerepair.com

koala1532
40

I have a 2004 Trailblazer LT, I've had the same problem for about a year. It started with the speedometer stuck on 60 mph and like a cancer the problem spread to every single gauge in the cluster. Since GM will fix the problem on all other trucks/suvs but this one, I refused pay to get it fixed on principle alone. Now it's inspection time so I gotta get it fixed. I think this will be the last GM truck I buy, which is a shame because I had my eye on the 09 Silverado with locking differential. I might have to go with the Tundra with the limited slip. And I will file with the NHTSA.

jimjimjim
420

You can fix it yourself if you or someone you know can solder. The stepper motors need to be replaced. You can see how to do it here http://usedcarsit.com/content/chevrolet-speedometer-gauge-repair-instrument-cluster

Patrice Czerkawski
10

I have a 2004 Pontiac Montana and mine stopped working 3 years ago. Thanks for all of the advice

hexxuss
30

Please file a complaint at the nhtsa.gov website. There won't be a recall unless enough people complain about it.

Annette Ratliff
20

I have A 2003 & Im having many other Major WIRING ISSUE'S! Along with frontend swaying Vibrating etc etc on and on and on....I hate this SUV.

dgardner13601
30

I have a 2005 Trailblazer and the other night it got stck at 60 mph and when I drove it would go up to 110 mph, I fixed it by parking and turning ignition on and off, everytime I did this the needle would go back by 10 mph, kept doing until it got to zero and been working fine since.

greengirl
20

I have a 2002 Trailblazer. One morning, everything was lit but registering zero. Two days later everything came back up. Last summer my odometer and PRND321 lighting was intermittent and finally went out. I did notice that even if the lighting was out the mileage was still registering. My auto mechanic says that they have seen a lot of this. He also said the fix would be about $550.00. I said no thanks since I've been driving long enough to know where the gears are and really don't care about the mileage. This just pisses me off because they know it is a common problem, but don't want to fix it. Maybe the Cobalt debacle will make them step up on this problem. I won't buy another Chevy.

laricheson
20

I also have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT that I bought in 2007 and the speed odometer has malfunctioned for the 3rd time. We have paid to have it fixed two times out of pocket. I received something in the mail stating this this is a common problem with this model and that I would be either reimbursed for having it fixed or I could have it paid for by the company to have it fixed, but somehow we have misplaced the letter I received. I have been looking all over online to try and find something about the recall, but even entering my VIN number on the Chevy and GM website states that there is currently no recalls for my model. I'm so frustrated because this will make the 3rd time we would have to pay for this out of pocket! Anyone else receive anything similar?

altheasweeting
40

I have a 2002 TRAILBLAZER LS and my speedometer is stuck on 40mph.when I drive, it goes up to 100mph. After reading the above statements, I know I can't afford to have fix

Linda Pearson
70

I have a 2001chevy blazer my mph 64.3 trip I don't no what happened can I still drive like this

Trailblazersux
0

Have 2004 trailblazer and have the same problem as dgardener. Private company will repair for $95 if you remove and ship it to them. Keep complaining to the nhtsb! Should be recalled. Just got a new gas tank and sending unit. Not a recall but got a letter from gm on extended warranty (ses) light on. Faulty weld on icv.