1998 Silverado headlight keep turning off when i am driving at night ''' Help"""

librmuel
10

Asked by librmuel Sep 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM about the Chevrolet Silverado 1500

1998 Chevy silverado ext cba 4x4 some times when i drive my puck up at night my lights just go out and wont
come back on for a while, any one know where to look..

12,865

Are the headlights automatic or activated by a switch?

librmuel
10

they are on the dash switch..

12,865

Would be that switch could be the relay and anywhere in between. Do you know how to diagnose electricalvissues

librmuel
10

Now i have taken the dash apart and the switch is getting very hot.. Is this a direct short.......... If so how would you recommend to find it...

librmuel
10

John, it has been a very long time that i have worked on any auto... but is is coming back to me... what are your suggestions on finding the short...

12,865

First you gotta figure whether its losing power or ground. If the switch is getting hot then it sounds like the switch is getting power but the lights aren't. Keep in mind those switches do get quite warm because of the location that's why they have the aluminium heat sinks. Check your power and ground availability with everything operational and then check the same thing when it messes up.