Fuel gauge malfunction?

davesf
0

Asked by davesf Mar 10, 2011 at 09:14 PM about the Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Something different?  Question:  When I fill up the gas tank, the fuel gauge registers empty and the "dic" light says "low fuel".  As I drive four or so miles, the "dic" light goes out and the fuel gauge slowly rises until it registers full.  What the?  Any hints?

Jonathan Furse
1,665

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but it sounds like the fuel level sending unit probably needs to be checked out.

Stetson Priesmeyer
35

my moms explorer does that and its not a big problem but the part to fix it is around 300$ so pretty expensive for something so little as long as you know you have gas i wouldnt worry to much about it

Buddy Sabins
20

i have a 99silverado had the same prob to fix it you have to replace the whole fuel pump cause its all built together .it runs 350 tax and all from dealer and thats your best route. after market pumps dont hold up very long