heater blows cold air when at idle even when temp is at normal?

Douglasfir
5

Asked by Douglasfir Mar 09, 2013 at 11:50 PM about the Chevrolet Impala

when the car is accelerating it blows warm air but as soon as u come to a stop and idle say st a light
it blows cold air ,even if u free rev it ,it stays cold ...Any help please!

judge_roy

The device known as the thermostat is supposed to let the engine warm up, then as soon as the coolant reaches 195 will open up and let the warm coolant circulate thru your heat exchanger...if it never gets up to 195 because it is stuck open, you will have minimal heat, just as you describe....in summation, change the thermostat and all will be skippy in skippy town.

judge_roy

...also 195 is operating temperature...if it never gets there you'll have incomplete combustion, resulting in smokey exhaust and poor acceleration...if you didn't notice.

judge_roy

be sure to have your mechanic 'belch' the heat exchanger or it will become air-bound after the thermostat replacement.

76,705

The dampers for the duct work of heating systems are controlled by vacuum. If at idle and car is at operating temp with heater on and you feel air coming out the vents but its cold and without touching any controls you start to drive and warm air starts coming out of them I would check for a vacuum leak going to the controller. As you drive faster the vacuum increases and will provide enough pressure to move the damper but at idle with the vacuum leak not enough pressure there to move it. This vacuum line will be coming from the intake thru the firewall to behind your heater controls. This is what I would check after you check all of what bob stated. Have to have heat in the heater core first.

32,735

Sounds like a coolant flow problem. Newer Impalas have electronic motors that control the doors under the dash for air temperature. Could be a partially clogged heater core. HTH. -Jim

swindber
210

Same with my 05 Impala. I changed the thermostat after it started blowing cold air. No improvement. I bled the brass bleeder on top of engine, filled resevoir, etc. It gets warmer the more gas you give it, then when letting off gas goes cold again. Both hoses to and from heater core get hot, so I am at a loss...

32,735

Sounds like the air temperature door under the dash isn't working correctly. HTH. -Jim

ATSG1
0

I am having the same exact problem in my 05 Grand Prix... going to change the thermostat tomorrow.

Roberta Fisher
10

My car is always doing the same thing. Blows hot air until I stop. is this a Chevy thing or what? I have a 2007 Saturn aura, same as a Chevy Malibu .

ch1001
20

I wish I new what was going on. I changed my thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, anti freeze, and I still have the problem. At idle, its cold air. driving down the road, warm air. I have a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR that I purchased new. A great machine, but this is puzzling.

Jesus Molina
80

I've been having the same issue with my 2007 impala. Done many coolant flushes and replaced thermostat. Recently had it flushed again, heater was working for about a month now it's blowing hot air only when I'm hitting the gas. Been having this issue for two winters now. My mechanic has no idea what's going on. thinking about replacing heater core? Any suggestions?

Casey Alexander
20

I fixed this issue for good in my grand prix. What it is is the coolant isnt being filled properly. Try running the vehicle for 5-10 minutes with your radiator cap off, and after it has been circulating for a little bit, fill it with coolant from the open cap and allow it to fill up your coolant container. This will flush out your bubble and solve you problem. At least it di for me...

Roberta Fisher
10

I took mine in. It was a blown head gasket. Thank god it was still under warenty. It would have been close to 2 grand

Polarbear1969
0

I have tried several things on my 07 Impala. Total tune up including new thermostat. Nothing. Just had the heater core replaced, still no hot air when idling. Not over heating so no water flow problem. I will try the radiator, cap off while idling, adding coolant directly to opening and see what happens.