Exhaust reeks of gas and rough idle no power

crussell
0

Asked by crussell Oct 04, 2007 at 08:54 PM about the Chevrolet Cavalier

Ran fine one day....the next took off and it ran terrible no power like it was being choked....looked under and the area around the cat converter looked cherry red....took it to my local muffler guy and he punched out the converter and it still runs like crap....exhaust smells like raw gasoline.....probably running too lean anyone have any ideas...no check engine light either...can I still run a diagnostic check on it.....thanks...I thinking maybe the reason the exhaust was so red is because it was running so gassy.....

van
65

sounds like you maybe have a vacum leak or a bad sensor-posibly crank-co2-or cam position sensor- if it is a 96 or newer you can hook up a obd2 and check for codes- also look under hood and listen for vacum leak and look for unpluged wires. what kind of car, engine, and year is it- hope this will help.

crussell
0

Well...it's a 92 4 cylinder and luckily found the problem today....2 plug wires bad was only running on 2 cylinders...bought this for a work car for $350 and it's actually in pretty good shape...just rolled over 200xxx