flashing shift (D) indicator *** anyone have the same problem??? ****

Ethan Terry
45

Asked by Feb 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM about the Honda Pilot

*** anyone have the same problem??? ****
out of nowhere the D/drive light started flashing. Took it out of gear to neutral, the nuetral light comes on but the D light is still flashing.
Turned the engine off, started it back up and everything is back to normal.
Normal for a month, then it happened again.
Turned off the engine off, restarted and everything is back to normal.
The car shifts / drives like normal all the time.
Nonetheless too it to a shop, and they tried to pull the codes, but got nothing. Advised me to go to HONDA as they may be about to pull the code using the HONDA's computer reader.

jmtnh
270

The flashing light indicates a transmission problem. I think it has to go to the Honda dealer to read the code. I had the same thing happen. I decided to check my fluid level first, sure enough it didn't even register on the stick. I just needed fluid. I don't think I would have gotten off that cheap if I had taken it to the dealer.

RV_IN_KC_1
340

I experienced the same light illumination. Shifted to neutral, or any other gear, and light still kept blinking. Pulled off the road and turned off the engine. Restarted engine, blinking light was gone. Didn't reappear as I drove on to the destination. Checked the display at lunch, no blinking light present. Also checked the transmission fluid level, no problems there. It sounds like it may be another one of Honda's infamous phantom faults that they want to charge about a hundred bucks to say they don't know why, and that they reset all the codes so it shouldn't be a problem, Perhaps they believe they should get a hundred dollars from every Honda owner periodically, so they just program the codes to come on randomly, and not show up in the history, so nobody else can find them. Yes, I am more than somewhat skeptical of the major auto industry these days, this isn't the first instance of phantom codes, but they still charge you for their poor design and poor information. If they really cared about owners, they would leave some of the usless info out of the owners guide and put in a table of all the codes and light illuminations, with the radio or dash readout connected so the codes could be displayed for the owner. Then we would know if it is a critical thing, or simply a friendly reminder that an oil change is needed, or something of that sort. Why all the mistery? A HUNDRED BUCKS, OF COURSE!!!!!!

Charlie Lakes
225

change the trainee fluid...with original honda brand.

3,255

^^sounds like that guy works for honda

David Smith
60

Same problem on my 2007 Pilot LX. Changed fluid (never get this transmission or any transmission flushed!) - takes 3 cycles to get transmission fluid completed. Only one done so far. Light still comes on and will not register a transmission code. Mechanic tells me not to worry unless you sense there is a genuine problem with shifting. Light may have to be on for a very long time for a code to register.

JB1974
160

I had the same problem on my 2005 Pilot. The code read "4th gear clutch pressure sensor". My son is a mechanic and I told him that it shifted fine and he said that if the pressure is not right on the 4th gear band in the transmission, it could wears uneven or even out and that could mean alot more money fixing the transmission

JB1974
160

also, it is recommended to use Honda tranmission fluid because it has whale blubber in it and it makes it easier to shift - more slippery

Visian Phonesoukseum
60

I had Honda Odyssey 03 I had the same problem for two years. I already change transmission fluid from Honda's Dealer but it won't stop flashing. I bother me when I see the flashing light on. So far, nothing wrong with my transmission. It could be sensor something that Honda dealer need to be reset.

Gary Larsen
170

Had same problem, it was a shift solenoid that wasn't working due to a broken connector for the wires. Replaced in about 60 seconds and works fine. Cost 25 bucks. On 05 pilot located next to the trans drain plug

Shatayab
140

FYI... I own a 2004 honda pilot for 6 years now and this has happened periodically to me... Honestly... I have always ignored it and my car is still fine 200,000 miles and counting... So I'm calling BS here... Phantom troubles...

JaneSally
100

The same thing just happened to me this morning. I was quite scared because the engine light came on as well. My car is still under warranty. Should I take it to Honda?

dianna657
100

I have a 2005 Honda accord and the same thing happened to me this morning. I googled it and found this page. First thing I read was transmission...I freaked. Then I read more and it said to pull over and shut down engine and restart so I did and the light stopped blinking..has anyone figured out what this really means? My car is up to date on maintenance and just hoping this isn't something major...thanks for the help

Jillian Williams
40

I have a 05 pilot and I just read this, shut my car off and back on and now it's fine , no warning light flashing

mjtommy2000
20

I just bought a 2004 Pilot from a used car dealership with a very questionable reputation. Mine has 126000 miles on it. I noticed that it came on periodically and I hear a slight squeal around 45MPH, but it goes away once i decelarate to about 20 MPH, doesn;t come back until I exceed 45MPH. Weird thing is that I can't get the flashing D light unless I am using the AC. The flashing light came up every time, once i stopped using the AC it stopped. My extended warranty kicks in after I drive 1000 miles, so i will get it checked once I am covered, but the car runs great. Very weird....

Jillian Williams
40

Yeah I think mine may be AC related as well. It seems like its happening more and more often but im goign to try that 25$ part near the drain plug and see if thats the issues, it doesn appear to have any problems shifting

Valerie Washeck
0

The same thing is happening with my 2009 Accord. Is the Pilot created on the same footprint as the Accord?

2xtango
60

My '03 Pilot started with the drive light flashing this morning. Took it to my mechanic and it didn't read for any problems. Called Honda and they said it means Don't Drive that something is wrong with the transmission. Taking it back to my mechanic to see the if he can figure it out.

Pat Kilmain
0

Happened on my 2004 CRV today. I suspect it will be gone tomorrow based on this page. Honda dealer is more than an hour away. If happens again I'll ask my mechanic. A new transmission would make me sell the car - 165K miles.

Daniel Sanqunetti
10

My pilot just did it trying to pass a car. Check fluid is good, disconnected both battery posts for 5 minutes to reset computer and it's doing fine no more problems