engine repair options

bowhonda
0

Asked by bowhonda Feb 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM about the Honda Civic

I have a blown head gasket according to the dealership. I am looking for my best option. fix it along with water pump, timing belt, drive belts, etc.
replace the engine? if so with used, rebuilt or remanufactured?
or is any of this worth it for a 1996 Honda civic with just over 240K mi

122,605

How is the rest of the car? Can you buy another car for less money you will put into this one? Used engines are a crap shoot, rebuilt and reman'd will cost you $3-$4K How much are you being quoted to fix?

mperrenoud
75

yes the water pump, timing belt, tune up,ect is standard practice if you have to go in that far with 240k miles on it . Was the engine running well before the head gasket went out? did it use oil? Is the car in good shape over all? Tom is correct with a used engine because there is no history on it and remember it is coming out of a junk yard. For most ppl this is the time to think about a new car, 240k is pretty good for a car.

Best Answer
Mark Mueller
0

Please contact with the experienced technicians of Galaxee Auto Repair and Muffler, they are always ready for transmission, clutch and differential repair, heating and air conditioning repair, tires and wheel balancing, oil change and all other fluids flush, rust proofing- non drip type, body repair work etc. For more information please visit: http://camobilebusinessdirectory.com/Galaxee-Auto-Repair-and-Muffler

bowhonda
0

The car was running okay, it did have an oil leak and the transmission fluid has never been changed. I thought about it once at around 200K but many people including Honda dealership stated that it may due more harm than good at that point due to the amount of potential trash and build up in the fluid pan that could clog ports? The body has some damage, but it got me around and still averaged 32 mpg until recently. I've parked it for now, it will still drive short distances with the defrost on heat and maximum fan blowing.

Takoda Fraser
935

might not be the head gasket they might jsut try to be getting money from you cause unless the exhaust is white and youre coolant overflow tank arent bubbling then your headgasket is probably ok. if its an over heating problem it might just be a thermostat which is an easy fix and will cost you 10-25 bucks to do yourself. look on the internet to see how to replace it and do it yourself worst comes to worse you spent 20 bucks and it didnt fix it but im thinking it might just be that simple.