2003 Accord code P0341?

Trebor66
745

Asked by Trebor66 Feb 12, 2012 at 06:23 PM about the Honda Accord

incorrect phase detected.Cleared code with my scanner.Code came back,could be Variable valve timing control solenoid filter clogged.Any other possibilities.  

Kirk McCurdy
445

Your looking at a big job. Most likely your timing chain has stretched and skipped some teeth on the camshaft. You will need to replace the timing chain and the cam gears.

Trebor66
745

I would agree to that statement but,the car is still running fine and doing industrial maintenance for 25years plus . I don't think it has jumped time.

Kirk McCurdy
445

I work at a honda dealership and it will continue to run(probably jump just a single tooth at this point), but it may jump more teeth and could easily bend valves, which would make it an even bigger job. So, keep driving at your own risk.

Trebor66
745

Thanks for your feedback Kirk .Would you agree that checking and possible replacing the timing control solenoid would be the place to start,rather than tear down the engine.From what I have read the solenoid and the position sensors could throw the same code.When I scanned it this is the the result , "P0341 Generic Camshaft Position Sensor "A"circuit Range Performance (Bank 1 )or single sensor"

Kirk McCurdy
445

The solenoid is the gear on the intake side so it is just as much work as replacing the chain, because you still need to remove the chain to replace the solenoid.

Kirk McCurdy
445

Removing the valve cover and checking the timing would be the first step in the diagnosis. With the crank set to top dead centre, the cam gears have a little dash (near the gear tooth) and both marks should be pointing at each other. If they are off then it has skipped.

Trebor66
745

Thanks for your quick response.Looks like the wife will be without her car so I can do this. Thanks You have been helpful.

gwenda
30

what cause the enginge light to come on after cam cam sensor replace

Kirk McCurdy
445

That depends gwenda, why was the sensor replaced in the first place. If it was replaced due to the P0341 code, then likely it didn't require the sensor to be replaced and the sensor was properly detecting that the camshafts were out of sync with the crankshaft. If this is the case then you likely have the same problem as described above. Good luck, Kirk

Trebor66
745

Here is the way to resolve the "valve timing " issue, There are little springs in the rocker arm assembly of the head.That allow it t change the valve timing. If one of these springs break it will throw the code "out of phase" The springs are dealer item only and kind of $$$$. It was cheaper to replace the engine. Yes I had replace all the sensors ad filters .When the head was disassembled the broken spring was found. The rule is if you broke one replace them all.