RPM idle's too high

geterdone
0

Asked by geterdone Mar 07, 2013 at 04:07 PM about the Saturn S-Series

When the car is sitting it idle's perfict at about 9,000 RPM,but once the car have move in gear or just plain coasting the RPM will rise to 20,000 or more untill you make a full complete stop,wait a few second,then the RPM rise back down to normal.

45,695

Get your codes read. I suspect the throttle position sensor but get second opinions. Your reported RPM's are high by a factor of 10.

Best Answer
DavidH25

TS he has got to be adding a "0" I know of no engine, except maybe a motorcycle engine... and that is pushing it past extreme, that can tolerate 20,000 rpm's. No f*** way

Alex Nazarian
665

The IAC and TPS are suspect. Also check for possible vacuum leaks.