Always have hard start on my s80, What could be the cause?

ralphtwvmt
15

Asked by ralphtwvmt Feb 23, 2013 at 04:03 AM about the Volvo S80

DavidH25

Lots of things. Let me ask you, please, the year and mileage? Sometimes if say, it has to crank for more than about 5 seconds, especially for a Volvo, the ECM is not sending the right signal to the fuel system on cold start. Are there any conditions that make it different? as in it starts easy when warm? Anything like that? Or no matter, it always does this?

Best Answer
49,595

A cold battery has less power. Batteries take longer to recharge because defrosters, blower motors, headlights, wipers, etc. are all calling for power. --- One thing I do if the temperature is in the single digits is that I turn the key to "On" until the fuel pump shuts off. I'll turn it back to "Off" and then "On" a second time to fully pressurize the fuel rail. I find it cuts down on the cranking time.

ralphtwvmt
15

The year is 2000, and mileage is 205. VOLVO S 80. ITS DIFFICULT TO START AFTER A LONG DRIVE. BUT START EASILY WHEN COLD.