1999 Subaru Outback Park lights will not shut off.

jkinney123
110

Asked by Feb 10, 2013 at 07:18 PM about the Subaru Outback

My 1998 Subaru Outback park lamps will not shut off. Never had a problem, came home turned the car
off and park lamps will not shut off. I have to disconnect the battery. Does anybody have a cure or ever
had this problem. Thanks.. John

7jimmy7
16,725

subaru,,made in japan maby a relay pull till lioghts off and bench test that relay

Michael Tutty
7,055

check your headlamp switch, and make sure it is in the "OFF" or "ON" position. Either should turn off everything. The middle of the 3 positions is for parking/tail lamps only, and is not ALLOWED to turn off the parking lights. If that is not the problem, then it sounds like a sticky relay, wherever Subaru has hidden that. Often, it is in the headlamp switch itself, and the only way to replace it is with a new headlamp switch.

John Haggerty
450

Most Subarus have a separate parling light switch on top of the steering column. If you accidentally tapped that then the parking lights will remain on. Happened on my daughters car and I wasted a couple hours trying to troubleshoot until I found that switch.

Best Answer
jkinney123
110

OK so I am new to Subaru and YES it was the separate switch on top of the steering column and no I am not BLONDE. Thank you John...

kinker
645

I had the same problem and it was the little switch above the steering wheel

Rachel Anne
50

My mom just called me and had the same issue...I googled it and out popped this answer...thank you! It worked for her! It's hard to help from 300+ miles away...

kinker
645

You're welcome Rachel and that switch is hard to see if you don't know about it or what it is for

cboyker
30

Thank You. That's what works and it can be hit accidently'. We tried all until I googled.

jamesyacht
30

And... I'm another... it was a mystery until I looked here... issue resolved... thanks-a-lot...

Dong Tam Le
30

Wow this is really helpful! I just had the same problem due to my son playing in the driver seat :p THanks a lot John!

edubuu
10

Thank You! Add one more person to the list of people that did not know about that switch and constantly disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Heather Swaner
10

Add another person to the list, thank you John! I didn't even know that switch was there even though once you notice it it's as plain as the nose on your face. Thanks again. Google and John made for a 30 second fix.

Lota
20

I have a 2002 subaru outback and i'm having the same problem, except that my parking light switch is off. The first two times it happened, the issue resolved itself after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. However, it's been doing it consistantly for 1 week now, but when i take the car to my mechanic, the parking lights shut off when i turn off the engine. Does anyone have any ideas?

Ocho25ls
10

Thank you John! My daughter had the same problem with the parking lights tonight. I pulled the fuse out so that the lights would turn off temporarily and check it in the morning. But then, I googled it and saw your post. I when back to the car to look for the switch, and there it was. right on the top of the steering column. Thank you John.

Lynne Moreau Collett
0

Just had the same problem. I also pulled the fuse until I could google it. I had washed my windshild and the dash tonight before going out. Thank You John Lynne from Maine 2/27/2016