2002 Subaru has a head gasket leak. What's a good stop leak product /

70955
10

Asked by 70955 May 22, 2013 at 09:38 AM about the Subaru Loyale

I have a small leak of coolant on the outside of the cylinder head,  not into the engine. I'm looking at the products offered, some you can add to the coolant ,others require draining the system and refill with water and solution. Any good answers out there ?

96,125

Some people would rather just replace the gasket and fix it correctly. If you just need to get by till you save enough money then "Bar leaks" is the old tried and true. Don't add the whole bottle, but I'd add a little at a time till the leak stops. Now it will not keep it leak free forever and you will need to address the gasket at some point. The stop leak does make the cooling system a little messy so you will need to flush it when you do replace the gasket.

Best Answer
70955
10

Thank you, I think this is right way to go. It"s not expensive and Barrs stop leak is a reputable co..

o0Gorilla0o
0

Stop leak causes more problems than it fixes. Stop leak is meant for a MOMENTARY fix. I replace about 3-4 dozen subaru head gaskets a year and its always worse when stop leak has been added. Dont want to deal with this problem again after you fix it correctly? Dont use ANY tap water in the cooling system at all. Distilled water only. Subaru has discovered that the minerals and deposits in tap water eat the head gaskets.

Nick Eidemiller
3,105

Also when you have your head gaskets replaced use a MLS (multi layer steel) gasket, they last much longer and are reuseable.