What do the model letters stand for? SE, SEL, I read that the model types were Base, SE, Sport, SEL & limited. But I have no idea what the letters stand for.

tilly
0

Asked by tilly Jan 24, 2013 at 02:45 AM about the Ford Freestar

fireballs
0

Its my understanding that Ford Motor Company has been using SE back in the 80's which stand for "special Edition" SEL- stand for "Special Edition Limted" but you also may want to email them. Here is there link. just copy and paste. https://secure.corporate.ford.com/our-company/contact-ford/contact-us-email

82,965

Its also not as much as what the model letters stand for but more of a way to represent the level of standard options on the vehicle.

MrBlueOval
2,835

It mostly a level of luxury. With Ford, SE is for Special Edition though it really isn't special at all. The same with SEL which is Special Edition Limited which isn't limited at all either. Just like back in the day when they used XL for Extra Luxurious and 500 for the sporty version of a car as in Galaxie 500 XL. They have/had GL, GS, SE, SEL, LTD, and so on. XL and XLT and XLT Lariat for the Ford pickup trucks. All are just trim levels with SEL, LTD and XLT Lariat being the top of the line. Kenny/MrBlueOval