Why does my truck shift twice going into reverse.

Fordsuperduty09
0

Asked by Fordsuperduty09 Jun 14, 2013 at 06:17 PM about the Ford F-350 Super Duty

Why do I feel my truck shift twice going into reverse, what's going on? Put truck into
reverse, you feel the first clunk and about two or three seconds later there is another
clunk, it's like the truck is going into reverse twice?

82,245

Check your driveline for play. Maybe the transmission mount or U-joints are worn.

judge_roy

Sounds like there is low fluid level...assure that the level is between the two hash marks (in the knurled zone) while running in park, does not smell burnt and is cherry red~

15,305

I agree with tom. And check the rear diff. May have excesive backlash.

MrBlueOval
2,835

It's UNANIMOUS !!! (did I spell that right?) Sounds like the first "clunk" is your tranny shifting, The second "clunk" is your driveshaft banking because your universal joints are bad and the driveshaft is getting ready to fall off. Crawl underneath and see if you can move the driveshaft back and forth or up and down while the truck is parked(make sure it's in park first and on level ground.) If it moves a lot, them they are bad and need replacing, that's where the "clunking" is coming from It sounds like a typical symptom of bad U-joints. Good Luck, Kenny / MrBlueOval