can you replace a air bag with a spring

robinson45
0

Asked by robinson45 Mar 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM about the Ford Expedition

45,905

I guess you could. Why would you want to?

judge_roy

airbags have explosive force. do you want a spring in your face at bullet speed? I'm with tenspeed, what kinda nut? is there a reason to circumvent safety? planning a murder?

13,245

Not legally. It's actually against the law to knowingly and deliberately disable a vehicle's air bag system. HTH. - Jim

The_Sheese
645

i hope this is a joke question..but to answer the question, i guess you could.

judge_roy

cartoonsville.

DavidH25

Good grief fellas you guys know better than that. I put coil springs in place of what some people call "air bags" which is a misnomer for air bladders on the rear suspension of my Town Car when they wore out. So, yes robinson you can, about $800 installed

DavidH25

Lots of people call them "air bags". I wish they wouldn't, it is misleading

DavidH25

It makes a very funny visual..a spring coming out of the steering wheel

DavidH25

Well Gary if you try real hard, I am confident you can do something really stupid today. Pour salt in your coffee instead of sugar. that should do it

hdrider46706
65

Wow, robinson45,you sure stirred up some entertaining responses to a simple question!! While I believe DavidH25 answered your quesiton, I just had to chime in - so many people jump first, then check the water depth!! BTW, I have a Lincoln Continental and I've noticed many air spring replacement kits on there that seem to be rather inexpensive..

hdrider46706
65

Noticed the kits on eBay....

judge_roy

the mechanical world sees them as "air springs" not "air bags"--------threw us a curve...lets just see how much of a stumblebum we can make of the gurus, shall we?

The_Sheese
645

haha i figured it was about shocks, and yes you can. i prefer shocks compared to airbags.