does a car have to be all original to be in mint condition?

Joshua Chilcott
165

Asked by Joshua Aug 22, 2013 at 09:15 PM about the Toyota Tercel

Hey guys. I have a question for you, and I am hoping to get a good answer that will solve my problem. Does a car
have to be all original to be in mint condition? I am asking because I've seen people swap OEM steering wheels
with other OEM steering wheels (i.e. a Toyota Paseo steering wheel on a Toyota Tercel, or even the same car but
from different generations like a 96 Tercel with a 92 Tercel steering wheel). lets say these cars have no flaws, and
are just customized for the heck of it.

Would those cars be classified as Mint Condition?

I really want to know because it has been bothering me for quite some time :S

Thanks
  Josh C.

13,315

I think it's a matter of opinion. To me a car is "mint" when it's been restored to showroom new-like condition. Using the proper repair/ replacement parts for the car. But I, personally, find it acceptable to use factory parts where the style has changed over the years. A good example is a battery. If it's a GM it should have a Delco battery. Even though exact reproductions are available for Delcos from say the 60s. I think it's ok to have a modern Delco battery in say a '69 Firebird. As long as it's a Delco. I'm sure others will disagree but, as I said, I believe it's a matter of opinion. Hope that helps answer your question. -Jim